Question Corsair TXM Gold 750W only has 8pin CPU power connector? My motherboard needs 8pin AND 4pin what to do?

May 18, 2019
Hi all

I made a thread about my new build not POSTing here.

The Motherboard light is lighting up as the CPU being the issue (CPU is: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core)
One of the problems might be that my motherboard (MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard) has both an 8pin and a 4 pin CPU power connector. However, the PSU only comes with an 8 pin, meaning that the 4pin connector on the motherboard is empty. What should I do?

Do I need to buy this: Type 4 Sleeved black 8-pin (4+4) ATX12V/EPS12V Cable, compatible with all CORSAIR type 4 pin out PSU
And then only use half and push that half into the 4pin point of the motherboard?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Usually this shouldn't cause a prevention of boot, the additional 4 pin (CPU_PWR2) is only really for extreme overclocking and is not needed for normal functionality. It's a nice to have in most cases and a must have with extreme overclocking to prevent problems.

After having a look through your previous thread, have you simply tried breadboarding the PC first to see if you can yield a different result and narrow down to what the problem might be:
- Remove all peripherals and unnecessary components, so all you have is MB, CPU, Cooler, PSU, and 1 stick of RAM. Then plug into integrated graphics and test.

Reactions: nick1888
May 18, 2019
Usually this shouldn't cause a prevention of boot, the additional 4 pin (CPU_PWR2) is only really for extreme overclocking and is not needed for normal functionality. It's a nice to have in most cases and a must have with extreme overclocking to prevent problems.

After having a look through your previous thread, have you simply tried breadboarding the PC first to see if you can yield a different result and narrow down to what the problem might be:
- Remove all peripherals and unnecessary components, so all you have is MB, CPU, Cooler, PSU, and 1 stick of RAM. Then plug into integrated graphics and test.

That is unfortunate, as I was hoping I would just get to plug this in and everything start working!

Thank you for looking at my other thread too.

Can i breadboard the pc in it's case or is it a must to remove everything?

I haven't had a chance to tinker with it any more, but, I thought I could avoid moving ram/GPU due to the cpu light being the error.

I can try and see about removing it down to just the mobo, cpu, 1 stick of ram and psu, I'm not sure if I will be able to do this due to my dad not being around at the moment.

I will try and reset the cmos too (is this worth doing first?)

I might have to take it to a computer repair person (usually my dad would have time to spend hours with me on something like this) but I'm hoping to avoid that as I imagine that will end up costing a lot!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Breadboarding should be done outside of the case the eliminate the possibility of a short.

The first port of call for me would be checking for bent pins on the CPU socket if the CPU LED. The LED effectively means its faulting or not detected, and a faulty CPU is rarer than any other component.

A breadboard may just help narrow down the issue.