Question Corsair Vengeance 650m, 650w 80 Plus Silver - Is it supposed to sound like this??

averagegamer89

Prominent
Oct 7, 2018
Hey!

I've just bought a new computer, and first I thought this noise came from the CPU cooling fan, but I tried with another fan and it still made the same noise. So my next guess is the PSU... And it really sounds like the sound originates from said PSU when I put my ear closer to it, rather than the front fan and the liquid cooling system itself. At the same time the noise is quite synced with CPU usage and temperature, when it goes up the noise goes up. And when it drops the noise goes down aswell. Shrug

Video links;
  1. View: https://youtu.be/H5AV4pJFo7w
  2. View: https://youtu.be/fsjVMAgx0gI
So as the title says, is it supposed to sound like this? Everywhere I've read it says it's a rather quiet PSU, I guess I've just been unlucky and need to ask for a new one through the warranty?

Thanks to anyone that can help me make any sense of this.

Last edited:

mangaman

Honorable
At the same time the noise is quite synced with CPU usage and temperature, when it goes up the noise goes up. And when it drops the noise goes down aswell. Shrug

No matter how expensive or high quality the PSU is, the fan will always make some sort of noise. When any component demains more power, the PSU will give it more power resulting in more heat from the PSU. Thus spins the fan up to cool the PSU, then spins the fan down when power demain is low.

Basically what you are hearing is just fan noise. If you have to put your ear very close to the PSU to notice the noise, don't worry about it. Even if the noise is very quite, it's normal for a PSU fan to make some amount noise.

averagegamer89

Prominent
Oct 7, 2018
No matter how expensive or high quality the PSU is, the fan will always make some sort of noise. When any component demains more power, the PSU will give it more power resulting in more heat from the PSU. Thus spins the fan up to cool the PSU, then spins the fan down when power demain is low.

Basically what you are hearing is just fan noise. If you have to put your ear very close to the PSU to notice the noise, don't worry about it. Even if the noise is very quite, it's normal for a PSU fan to make some amount noise.

Ofcourse, But it literally sounds like someone i driving a drit bike around my house contantly. But the noise is from the CPU . The only ways to avoid hearing it atm is to have it turned off or turn up the volume on the headsetuntill my ears hurt. And that can't be how it should work. It's my 6th computer and I've never experienced this much noise, from fans or otherwise.

The previous computer I had, had 2 more fans than this one, and made 1/30th of the noise so I'm abit frustrated..

mangaman

Honorable
But the noise is from the CPU . The only ways to avoid hearing it atm is to have it turned off or turn up the volume on the headsetuntill my ears hurt.

My apologizes but now I seem confused. Is it the CPU fan that is making the noise or the PSU? If it's the CPU fan, can take it out and clean it with compressed air and some isopropyl alcohol?

If you think it's the PSU, can you take the PSU out of the case and set it away from the computer? That way, you can tell if it's the CPU fan or the PSU that is making the noise.

Reactions: TJ Hooker