[SOLVED] Corsair Vengeance DDR4 C15 - best way to 64Gb

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
My system (stock i7 9700K) currently has 2 sticks of 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz CL15 in white. I regularly find myself using 29Gb of RAM, so wanted to upgrade my system to 64Gb.

Ideally, I'd just buy another 2 sticks of the same RAM. However given they're selling on Amazon for £388.50 a pair for the white, with other colours are out of stock or around the same price, it seems buying like for like is a stupidly expensive idea. In fact, I appear to have hit the sweet spot for unavailability and expense!

I can buy C16 pretty easily and for a lot less, in faster speeds. But I'm guess I'm going to have to buy 64Gb and sell my existing.

What would you do here?

Solution
I forgot to answer your other question.
"I'm guessing, like for like, that higher latency and higher frequency is going to be effectively performance neutral, though obviously twice as much RAM? "
I wouldnt expect a massive improvement, since you are moving 200mhz up (3000 to 3200mhz), but increasing the CAS Latency (CL15 to CL16).
The biggest improvement will be the capacity.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
So basically start again with RAM and sell the old stuff? Yeh I was afraid of that! :D But not necessarily surprised.

I'm guessing, like for like, that higher latency and higher frequency is going to be effectively performance neutral, though obviously twice as much RAM?

I forgot to answer your other question.
"I'm guessing, like for like, that higher latency and higher frequency is going to be effectively performance neutral, though obviously twice as much RAM? "
I wouldnt expect a massive improvement, since you are moving 200mhz up (3000 to 3200mhz), but increasing the CAS Latency (CL15 to CL16).
The biggest improvement will be the capacity.

Reactions: James Blonde
Solution

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Cool beans :) Performance improvement wasn't really an expectation - I suspected I would be trading increased speed for increased latency and they'd cancel each other out. As long as I'm not losing performance, and as long as spending lots of money on CL15 RAM wasn't going to gain me a massive benefit compared to spending the same amount of money to buy twice the CL16 RAM! Which I doubted massively, but had to ask! :D Thanks!

Reactions: Dj0gany