Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4-2400 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I splurged last Christmas and maxed out my rig at 32GB. I've even managed to get to about 95% usage a couple times. But, crap, 128GB? For non-server applications? There must be so few programs/projects that can actually utilize that.

G

The last word in this article is misspelled. It's "purchase" not "purchas".

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I plan on doing 32gb on my new build. which would be better
1. 32gb kit (4x8)
or
2. 2x 16gb kits (4x4)x2
Generally speaking less dimms at the same capacity and same clock speed/latency is better system stability, but in this case not so sure due to CPU related clock speed limitation on these new 16GB dimm kits the opposite is likely true.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I paid a lot more for 128GB ECC REG in a system I built two years ago, and that's what you should be comparing this to, not to two 64GB systems.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, no server hardware here, maybe you're thinking of Tom's IT Pro.

LostAlone

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I paid a lot more for 128GB ECC REG in a system I built two years ago, and that's what you should be comparing this to, not to two 64GB systems.

ECC and non-ECC RAM are two different classes of products for two different kinds of uses. Servers and workstations focus on a different type of performance. The only reasonable comparison you can make is against other RAM in the desktop space. Or do you think that consumer GPUs should be benchmarked against Quardos that costs ten times as much and are designed for a completely different workload?

ROB_DF_MX

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2015
Some weeks ago you post an article about a RAM Manufacturer also anouncing soon to release DDR3 16GB DIMMs. That would allow us on the Intel X79 platform to also install up to 128GB of RAM on aour systems with a BIOS update.

Any news about that ?
Please let us know.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you sure it was this site? I know a company was planning to produce it, but haven't heard any confirmation of compatibility with Intel processors. That company was showing it on AMD but didn't appear to know whether the Intel limitation was hardware or firmware.

ROB_DF_MX

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2015
Mr. Crashman, please excuse me, you were right, I got that info from another website.

Any way I want to share that article, maybe you can dig a little more with your contacts:

"I’M Intelligent Memory Launches 16 GB DDR3 Memory Modules"
http://www.eteknix.com/im-intelligent-memory-launches-16-gb-ddr3-memory-modules/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

According to its list, several Asus X79 boards are compatible.
http://www.intelligentmemory.com/fileadmin/download/compatibilitylist.pdf
We unfortunately don't have a relationship with the company. You can point them to this forum thread if you'd like, and perhaps they'll respond. Going from there to setting up a review is fairly easy.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
The random access memory, when can it occupy beyond 16GB of physical memory?

If you mean "when can Windows see more than 16 GB of memory", then the answer is: "when you run a Windows beyond Windows Vista/7 Home Premium".

The memory limits of 64-bit consumer Windows versions are:
Windows Vista/7 Basic: 8 GB
Windows Vista/7 Home Premium: 16 GB
Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate: 128 GB
Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate: 192 GB
Windows 8: 128 GB
Windows 8 Professional/Enterprise: 512 GB

Here's a Microsoft article on memory limitations on different Windows versions, both consumer and server, up to Win 8:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

ROB_DF_MX

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2015
Thank you amigo Crashman,

I already sent a message to the "Intelligent Memory" Web Site Support.
Once I get a response I will share it here with all of you.

Roberto.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I'd definitely be interested to see any benefits of running a game on a RAMDisk of that capacity, even how limited that may be in application. Curiosity has my interest.

g-unit1111

Titan

What kind of cooler would you wind up using with a RAM kit like this? I saw there was a conventional fan used but I would think if you've got the $1500 to spend on RAM like this that going with a full liquid loop would not be out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS