Question Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 colors mattered?

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Quick question. The black LPX ram is the popular one right now. I was just wondering if the other colors have different specifications or are they just the same? Because I currently have a pair of black, and I’ve seen some cheaper ones but they are in different colors like white and red. I don’t mind putting different colors together if it considered as one color.

757016-751875-800.jpg

corsair-vengeance-lpx-8gb-ddr4-ram-3000mhz-c16-2666mhz-c15-memory-kit-netstorecommy-1707-30-Netstorecommy@24.jpg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
All else being equal (speeds, timings etc), then they could be considered essentially the same part.

However, mixing & matching even two 'identical' parts that were sold separately (two 1x8GB packs; same colour, speed, timings, for example) has the potential to be problematic. It's rare, and can be platform specific etc - but there is a slight risk.

What are you looking to achieve? If it's a capacity upgraded (from 8GB to 16GB, for example), a smarter route would be to sell the 2x4GB black kit you have, and purchase a 2x8GB kit, sold together.

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
What are you looking to achieve? If it's a capacity upgraded (from 8GB to 16GB, for example), a smarter route would be to sell the 2x4GB black kit you have, and purchase a 2x8GB kit, sold together.

I have a set of 8gb 3000mhz black. I’ve seen a pair of 8gb 3000mhz white selling for a better deal. I thought that if buying the white pair, running them together with my black ones with no problem, I rather go the cheaper route and still get the same result as going all black. But if going all black gives better performance compatibility, then I’d stay with same color.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Even buying A.N.Other kit of "black" dimms has the same (potential) pitfalls. When they're not sold, packaged together in a retail 'kit', then there's no outright guarantee of compatibility. The majority of the time, they'll work just fine - plug & play (white, black, red, rainbow... provided they're the same speed & timings).

I have a set of 8gb 3000mhz black.

1x8GB, 2x4GB?

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Even buying A.N.Other kit of "black" dimms has the same (potential) pitfalls. When they're not sold, packaged together in a retail 'kit', then there's no outright guarantee of compatibility. The majority of the time, they'll work just fine - plug & play (white, black, red, rainbow... provided they're the same speed & timings).

1x8GB, 2x4GB?

2x8gb

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If all specs (other than color) are identical you may as well get the white version if it's significantly cheaper. As said above combining two separate kits always comes with a possibility of issues, but the white one shouldn't be any different than the black one in that regard.

Edit: Missed that you already have 16GB, why do you need 32GB?

Last edited:
Reactions: jaymes2015

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes I already have 16gb. I just want to top it off at 32gb. I assumed you guys are suggesting me to stay at 16gb?

Nobody is suggesting anything just yet. But unless you have a need for >16GB, then it's a waste of money.
For example, general browsing & gaming, you'd be hard pressed to find a situation where you're using more than maybe 10-12GB, so that 'extra' 16GB would be totally wasted.

Since you seem to be conscious of a budget (and rightly so), and looking to opt for the cheaper of the black/white kits.... Start with assessing whether you need >16GB. If you don't, any money spent on a kit of RAM is a waste, before even getting into the nitty gritty of whether X kit is cheaper than Y kit.

Reactions: jaymes2015