[SOLVED] Corsair VS500 enough for RX 580 XFX GTS Black Core?

Feb 21, 2019
Had to get the card RMA'd because my rig wouldn't turn on with the card in it. It's on the way back now, I breadboarded my system and the only thing having a problem was the card. My old GTX 760 works fine (probably because it takes less wattage than the 580). Before I plug in my RX 580, is the Corsair VS500 enough for my RX 580? I have no idea how PSUs work or how to tell how much power I need on what rail or whatever. Explain like I'm 5.

Specs:
Ryzen 1600 stock
ab350m Asrock
2x4gb ddr4 @3000mhz

Solution
I have researched power supplies before and I know there are certain things I should probably know more about like rail voltage and most power supplies don't have their voltages listed anywhere. I read that the 580 takes a certain amount of voltage off of the 12v rail or something like that. I feel like there's a lot more I don't know about and if I got a better, detailed answer I would feel more secure.

Don't overthink it.

The VS series is VERY poor quality and not ment to run anything more than simple workstations. The CX series really isn't much better, not really.

A good quality 650W PSU is needed.

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2 or G3
Corsair RMX

What it comes down to is how much you value your computer and it's parts.
Feb 21, 2019
I have researched power supplies before and I know there are certain things I should probably know more about like rail voltage and most power supplies don't have their voltages listed anywhere. I read that the 580 takes a certain amount of voltage off of the 12v rail or something like that. I feel like there's a lot more I don't know about and if I got a better, detailed answer I would feel more secure.

Don't overthink it.

The VS series is VERY poor quality and not ment to run anything more than simple workstations. The CX series really isn't much better, not really.

A good quality 650W PSU is needed.

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2 or G3
Corsair RMX

What it comes down to is how much you value your computer and it's parts.

Solution