[SOLVED] Corsair VS550 for Vega 56 Asus ROG Strix

Nov 13, 2020
Hi All,
I've recently bought a used Vega 56 Asus ROG Strix and now I am a bit concerned if my Corsair VS550 can handle it while gaming.
Googling gives a conflicting information:
  • The PSU requirement on the GPU box is as big as 750w, with TDP "over 300W". Not sure how true this is, given other Vega 56's spec give 210W.
  • Some people run Vega 56 on 550W just fine, some say that's not really enough
  • Some PSU calculators give me a wattage under 550W, some give very close to or just over 550W.
My current setup is:
  • CPU: FX-6300 (95W)
  • Mobo: ATX Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix Vega 56 (replaces R7 260x)
  • RAM: 8gb DDR3
  • Two HDDs 7200 RPM
  • Misc: (one 120mm fan, one PCIE wireless network card, a game controller, external hdd occasionally)
I am also thinking of upgrading and maybe switching off the second old HDD which should bring the whole wattage down a bit (about 50w?). Not sure if this makes a difference or not.
  • CPU: Ryzen 2600 (65W)
  • Mobo: B450 mATX (wattage should be less since it's mATX)
  • RAM: DDR4 16gb
I didn't really want/plan to upgrade my PSU (it's quite new), so would be nice to know about other options, if there are any.
Now I am cautious about even turning the PC on and gaming :) Don't want to damage anything.

Appreciate views and comments on the matter.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I've been reading some articles about Seasonic Focus and AMD Vega issue and they left me a bit confused.
For example, this one here https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/psus/seasonic-warns-of-focus-plus-psu-compatibility-issues/1/
that says:
"PSUs manufactured after January 2018, the company has confirmed, have a less-sensitive protection trigger, though it still advises that buyers running high-end graphics cards 'choose to purchase other power supplies with higher power ratings to ensure that the computer works properly'. "

I thought I won't experience any issues if I buy a post Jan 2018 PSU. Is this not the case? The bit above is not encouraging.
What do you think? Did anyone have an experience of using such PSU+GPU...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You really should use the AMD recommendations regarding PSU use with Vega GPUs. They can be quite demanding and will not work with all PSUs, in spite of what others have done (claimed).

Personally, I would not recommend the VS550/Vega 56 combo.

Nov 13, 2020
OK, thanks. I thought the 750w recommendation was an overhead for a possible overclocking and if I'm not doing that I won't have the 300w consumption.
So, there are two ways now.
  1. Sell Vega 56 and get a less power hungry GPU. Can VS550 handle cards like RX 580, GTX 1660s, GTX 1060? Is it an OK PSU overall for such config?
  2. Get a better PSU. Which models can you recommend?
Thanks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Go number two. The problem isn't that there's not enough possible output but that the Corsair VS is a good entry-level PSU for good entry-level rigs, which you do not have if you're using any of the GPUs mentioned. Your PSU may be fairly new -- which is a good thing because the old VS was awful rather than simply a good entry-level PSU -- but you bought a PSU that wasn't in line with your use case.

As for which PCs, there's a sticky in the Power Supplies forum. For GPUs of this tier, at least Tier B is recommended.

Nov 13, 2020
What is your budget?
As little as possible really (because I didn't initially budget for that), but to get a decent and reliable PSU for the setup. Started to check Tier B from the sticky in the forum, getting the impression such PSUs are about 80-100.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As little as possible really (because I didn't initially budget for that), but to get a decent and reliable PSU for the setup. Started to check Tier B from the sticky in the forum, getting the impression such PSUs are about 80-100.

Yup, things are a bit more expensive right now due to supply crunch; those B-tier PSUs used to be largely available for 60-90.

Doesn't change the basic issue. PSUs always need to be part of the budget; a PSU of the quality you require is the most important part of a PC and where there are budget limitations, it's everywhere else you sacrifice first.

Reactions: King_V
Nov 13, 2020
Is Cougar GEX 750W 80 Plus Gold a good option? Found one for 75.
Also, a bit of off top - is it really possible for vega 56 rog strix to draw over 300w, even without overclocking, when the reference version draws 215w?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Is Cougar GEX 750W 80 Plus Gold a good option? Found one for 75.
Also, a bit of off top - is it really possible for vega 56 rog strix to draw over 300w, even without overclocking, when the reference version draws 215w?

You're still obsessing with the wattage when the problem is more the quality.

The GEX is in our list at Tier B, so it's acceptable, if rather unambitious. It would probably be more of an issue with a Vega 64, which was considerably harder to rein in.

Nov 13, 2020
Read the first link in my signature before getting a PSU.
Ok, I've done that, but could not find any PSU from that article which is currently under 100 (cx aside).
The Cougar for 75 is in Tier B (Cougar | GEX - GX-S 2017), although there is almost no info about it online. Some say GEX is some other disguised model which can be good or bad.

You're still obsessing with the wattage when the problem is more the quality.
Yes, I surely understand about the quality and have been studying the sticker articles for quite some time.
But the first reply in this topic was "You really should use the AMD recommendations regarding PSU use with Vega GPUs", which is 750w. That's why I try to follow the recommendation about the Tier B and also getting 750w. Or do you mean I can pick a higher quality 550/650w, and it will be acceptable/better for my GPU that Cougar 750w?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
I got the Seasonic Focus 750w after all, which is 20 more than Cougar, I thought it's worth it.
The thread with PSU Tiers mentions it has issues with Vega GPUs, but only pre Jan 2018 ones, so I guess it's fine now.
Thank you all for the advice and replies.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
I've been reading some articles about Seasonic Focus and AMD Vega issue and they left me a bit confused.
For example, this one here https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/psus/seasonic-warns-of-focus-plus-psu-compatibility-issues/1/
that says:
"PSUs manufactured after January 2018, the company has confirmed, have a less-sensitive protection trigger, though it still advises that buyers running high-end graphics cards 'choose to purchase other power supplies with higher power ratings to ensure that the computer works properly'. "

I thought I won't experience any issues if I buy a post Jan 2018 PSU. Is this not the case? The bit above is not encouraging.
What do you think? Did anyone have an experience of using such PSU+GPU combination?
Thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
that says:

What do you think? Did anyone have an experience of using such PSU+GPU combination?
Thanks

Given the power supply shortage, it's extremely unlikely that any new SeaSonic PSU you're buying -- or any PSU by a competent manufacturer -- is anywhere near three years old.

Solution