[SOLVED] Corsair VS550 with RX580 8GB

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
Hi guys.

I'm very new to the world of upgrading my PC for gaming. I recently added an RX560 GPU to my machine but want to add something a little more powerful and have my eye on an RX580 8GB. I read a few comments saying that the PSU I have isn't great so am now worrying that it may not be sufficient for this more powerful card. Components as follows:

i7-2600k
8GB RAM
ASUS P8H61-MX mobo
RX580 8GB

Will the VS550 be ok for this setup for casual gaming? I would prefer not to have to upgrade my PSU.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi guys.

I'm very new to the world of upgrading my PC for gaming. I recently added an RX560 GPU to my machine but want to add something a little more powerful and have my eye on an RX580 8GB. I read a few comments saying that the PSU I have isn't great so am now worrying that it may not be sufficient for this more powerful card. Components as follows:

i7-2600k
8GB RAM
ASUS P8H61-MX mobo
RX580 8GB

Will the VS550 be ok for this setup for casual gaming? I would prefer not to have to upgrade my PSU.

Thanks in advance!

So the Corsair VS series are their entry level PSU so aren't ideal for very high loads, however it should work with an RX580 (looking around on the net the VS550 can supply up to 42A on the 12V rail, so should...
Hi guys.

i7-2600k
8GB RAM
ASUS P8H61-MX mobo
RX580 8GB

Thanks in advance!

So the Corsair VS series are their entry level PSU so aren't ideal for very high loads, however it should work with an RX580 (looking around on the net the VS550 can supply up to 42A on the 12V rail, so should handle the RX 580 fine). I'd say you will be ok as long as you are running your CPU and GPU at stock speeds....

That said, there may be a couple of better options available now if you are worried about your power supply...

The new GTX 1650 Super and 1660 Super cards are both good options at a similar performance level (the 1650 Super is a bit slower, the 1660 super slightly faster) than the RX 580 but both consume far less power.

There is also a new RX 5500 from AMD that offers ~ RX 580 level performance, again at much lower power consumption that is due out this month, so might be worth looking at one of those options instead if they are within budget.

Solution

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
So the Corsair VS series are their entry level PSU so aren't ideal for very high loads, however it should work with an RX580 (looking around on the net the VS550 can supply up to 42A on the 12V rail, so should handle the RX 580 fine). I'd say you will be ok as long as you are running your CPU and GPU at stock speeds....

That said, there may be a couple of better options available now if you are worried about your power supply...

The new GTX 1650 Super and 1660 Super cards are both good options at a similar performance level (the 1650 Super is a bit slower, the 1660 super slightly faster) than the RX 580 but both consume far less power.

There is also a new RX 5500 from AMD that offers ~ RX 580 level performance, again at much lower power consumption that is due out this month, so might be worth looking at one of those options instead if they are within budget.

Great, thanks so much for the advice, I will definitely check out those alternatives :)

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
VS550 should hold up to 2070,
you can check that on gpu page, which is main "consumer"
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-580

PSU Recommendation
500 W

So 550 will be fine, even a bit better as it should not be as loud as 500W would be.
if you would go in future into top performer like 2080 ti or vega 64, I would take 600/700 range PSU.

Hi. Fantastic, I really appreciate the advice!