Corsair's Extreme SSDs Use Indilinx Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Corsair hasn't given official pricing for these SSDs, but expect the usual premium pricing.

aka You can stop caring about these because they're not going to be affordable and they won't make any other SSDs afforadable.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hmm well there's some of us who DO care and don't have the price-tag cynic's mindset mlcloud, lol. Speak for yourself!

Not that I can afford the 2 of these things I'd want for RAID 0. Really, 4 for RAID 0+1.

My complaint here though is about the word 'blistering'. Why is everything half a percent faster called 'blistering'? Fact is, this thing is just catching up to Intel and OCZ, it's not 'blistering' anything, it's 'also can run fast'. Great that we have more tech that is competitive (which kind of thing WILL bring prices down), but quit over-hyping. It impresses no one. Corsair is a solid company with a good rep, it doesn't need hype that just makes them look cheap, trite, and trashy.

QQing done, lol

;)

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I'ma wait another 6 months or so to see what the pricing is then. Maybe then they'll start cranking out enough to drop em down some.

G

For notebook I would like to see some specs first, and perhaps how the drive operates on a SATA and SATA2 port.

Especially power savings over my traditional Toshiba MK1234 drive, which is considered an average energy saving on a notebook.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
There are three SSD controllers: Indilinx, Samsung, and JMicron.

Indilinx is for pure speed with no "self-healing" to maintain top speed for years down the road.

Samsung is slightly slower but still pretty quick and does offer the "self-healing" which prolongs the speed and life of the drive.

JMicron is for budgets and people that like mi-mi-mi-micro stuttering.

hrrmph

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Buyer beware: Like many other manufacturers' SSDs, the smaller ones don't reach the 240 / 170 speeds. Only the 128GB will reach that.

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Just a note: I bought a "cheap" SSD, Patriot Warp v2, 32gb JMicron, to get my feet wet with SSD. Very glad I did. Contrarians aside, I've had no stuttering, and compared with the platters I've used since my first build, a used IBM 10mb 4 pound rattle-trap, I'm looking forward to the future of these and other storage improvements. I note that my boot from Post time was only 30 seconds with XP 32bit, Samsung platter at 7200rpm; the SSD with RC7 64bit is half that time. It's opened a whole new train of thought about the direction my next build will be. And besides, I've spent $99 far more poorly in my life.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]robert17[/nom]Just a note: I bought a "cheap" SSD, Patriot Warp v2, 32gb JMicron, to get my feet wet with SSD. Very glad I did. Contrarians aside, I've had no stuttering, and compared with the platters I've used since my first build, a used IBM 10mb 4 pound rattle-trap, I'm looking forward to the future of these and other storage improvements. I note that my boot from Post time was only 30 seconds with XP 32bit, Samsung platter at 7200rpm; the SSD with RC7 64bit is half that time. It's opened a whole new train of thought about the direction my next build will be. And besides, I've spent $99 far more poorly in my life.[/citation]

The "I spent..." is what somewhat caught my attention...
I have a week were I know I spent $800, but I can't remember what I spent it on... nothing to show for it...

deputc26

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]There are three SSD controllers: Indilinx, Samsung, and JMicron.Indilinx is for pure speed with no "self-healing" to maintain top speed for years down the road.Samsung is slightly slower but still pretty quick and does offer the "self-healing" which prolongs the speed and life of the drive.JMicron is for budgets and people that like mi-mi-mi-micro stuttering.[/citation]haha!
You forgot Intel's controller which is also used by Kingston. The new firmware for barefoot based drives (1.3) does "self-heal"

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]aka You can stop caring about these because they're not going to be affordable and they won't make any other SSDs afforadable.[/citation]

Yeah, because having more companies produce items in the same class won't drive prices down. Makes sense to me... Also affordable is a term relevant to the person. For some, maybe Ferraris are affordable, to others only Kias. Quit whining about the new shiny tech, and just embrace the new wave.

G

NOT BUYING until SATA3 6Gb/s.
My next build will have an HD or SSD that can read 500+MB/s.
Although it is a long wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.