Corsair's New SFX PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oohh, ITX gets some love! and just when I switched back to a tower!

*mildy kicks arc mini r2 case

Haha. I just built two mini itx rigs actually, so I'm happy. :p

I'm seriously considering going to mini itx one of these days (2017), the new mini itx cases look so nice and it doesn't hog up your desk.

Those Corsair PSUs look good on the outside, lets see how they do when Tom's tests and reviews them. :)

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
We are stepping in the right direction.

I can see by 2020 ITX systems will be side by side with ATX systems. All that is needed are better motherboards and then then once a top tier GPU plugs in.......sweet powerful system in a little box :)

Then by that time, the only competition the ITX form factor will have is the high end gaming laptops with their GPU docks. ;)

We are stepping in the right direction.

I can see by 2020 ITX systems will be side by side with ATX systems. All that is needed are better motherboards and then then once a top tier GPU plugs in.......sweet powerful system in a little box :)

You may want to revise your timetable; you can already get a sweet mini-ITX system with very good graphics, albeit with a single-GPU. Nvidia already has good, relatively low-power cards, and AMD is now promising that as well. So basically nothing is stopping you from designing something that can rival non-SLI/CF ATX systems.

Lutfij

Titan
Definitely looking forward to reading up on the article by Tom's since I'm eyeing an SF PSU and I also reckon the prices will be competitive enough for Silverstone to reconsider their pricing strategies. To date Silverstone's SFX PSU range are a little overpriced and they are also noisy as per most users owning them.

Lutfij

Titan
Actually they are late to the market...mitx scene has been underground but only Silverstone were the pioneers of that niche with their SFX units. Be Quiet had dipped their toes into those waters but don't offer anything in Gold of similar wattage.

Seasonic is yet waiting to see how the market will move - > more to be found on [ H ]ard forums.

*Edit: Hang on! Did I just read that right? The units are made by Great wall?

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
"The SF600 looks ideal for small but powerful gaming systems with up to two GPUs"

Exactly how many cases requiring SFX PSU's have room for two Graphics Cards?

$60? Dirt cheap is always nice, bit $60 is impossible. You show me a similar unit anywhere near $60 and I'll admit I'm wrong.

It's just lack of competition in the SFX form factor, that's all. In ATX we find quality 450W units for around $40. Seasonic comes to mind.

A lack of competition isn't driving price. All it takes is more than one provider of product to create a competition that can drive prices down. Power density isn't cheap. Not if you want decent performance and efficiency. You can't compare an SFX 450W to a full size ATX 450W. The technology and engineering required isn't the same at all.

Unless you can show me a link that makes your point, I'm looking at two Seasonic's in your price range. One 350 and one 350. One has only a slightly annoying 80mm fan while the other has a screaming 60mm fan. Both are only 80 Plus white.

I'll say it again: Dual-GPU graphics cards. Many cases that use an SFX PSU were still designed to hold long graphics cards and can fit many of the dual-GPU cards. Of course, that would probably require some creative planning for the cooling, but hey, it could be done.

That's not to say I'd ever go that way, nor that I'd recommend it to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.