Cortana and Windows 10 Search Consciously Uncouple

I don't think they should. They should have the ability to turn off or remove it but for their One OS ecosystem a voice assistant works great for phones and tablets.

IMHO it shouldnt be a "core" part.

If you wanna clean install you shouldnt have to remove it after.

Cortana is likely not used than used by overall users.

They should have a download page for it and make it optional not a default.

they make it annoying as heck to even get rid of :|

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
I'm yet to see someone actually want it or use it. It's just additional annoyance to remove it. In general, Windows 10 made it difficult for power users, as they have a lot of disabling to do when they first install. I think they should have an "advanced" install setting with a lot of checkboxes, allowing you to enable full privacy mode, choose if you want Cortana installed AT ALL or not, etc.
On top of that, I really don't like having stuff that I don't use that's impossible to completely remove - as a minimalist it makes me uncomfortable. I have Cortana disabled but I'm still bothered that it's there, physically taking space and sometimes RAM (I can see the process) despite it technically not doing anything. I really wish Microsoft brought more control to the user back. I like Win 10, but I don't like how many things it forces me to accept.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I really don't care what Microsoft does with search branding as long as they make it search my computer FIRST rather than racing to display internet results. I want to change my mouse settings, not do a search for mice!!!

Cortana kept popping up when VIDEO would play as it somehow interpreted whatever they said sometimes as "Hey, Cortana" I guess. I then disabled Cortana from listening to me.

And remember when the Xbox One first launched and they played an AD on TV that demonstrated how to give it VOICE COMMANDS?

Great idea except they played that AFTER they'd started selling so those XB1's followed the command. LMAO!

The ad TURNED OFF the XB1's which some people had pass-thru enabled for the HDTV so they sat there staring as their HDTV turned off!

And some people made USER NAMES for multi-player so the game would read the name out loud and... you get the idea.