Cortana

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Is it better to get rid of Cortana? I reinstalled windows 10 and Cortana is now on my laptop. I've looked at how to disable it and on this site it says turn off switch next to runs at log in. This facility isn't there but there is a button under settings which says terminate, which it says will immediately terminate this app. Would you recommend doing this. Has anyone found Cortana useful? Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Go to Task Manager and then the Startup tab and swap to disable.

"Background Apps" and turn off it's ability to run in the background. I think it is under privacy, not sure and not on a W10 machine right now, but also turn off its access to Camera, Microphone

There is no compelling reason to leave that PO(crap) running on any system. If you are on "Home" version, you really can't get rid of it, but you can use methods to keep it at bay.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks, I've set background apps to off. If I scroll down though there is a terminate button. I wonder if this function has now also been added.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In Windows 10 Home edition there is no real way to completely turn off Cortana without taking extreme measures, and even then...it is pretty baked in. Luckily with 11 it seemed a little less important.

Also, on laptops and other "touch" type devices (such as the touchpad for scrolling) there are gestures that will bring that window up as well as other things.

abbarich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2014
Thanks for that. So by setting background apps to off, is that all I need to do. I haven't pressed the terminate button in settings, but if I did would Cortana not actually be removed from my laptop? Thanks.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you turned it to disabled in Startup Apps within Task Manager, and you set it not run in the background you should be good unless you accidentally open it with a swipe gesture. You can also look in Task Manager/Processes to see if it is open.

Reactions: abbarich