Cosair H80 cooler be able to cool AMD FX-9590?

Mirzet

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU to AMD, and I was looking at AMD FX-9590. The problem is that I'm afraid that my H80 can't cool it because, the CPU runs really hot (220w usage).

Anyone who have the H80 Cosair cooler and the CPU that can confirm I won't have any trouble?

Notice this is a H80 not a H80I

All help are appreciated, regards Mirzet

Solution
It is not a good idea to use the H80 with the FX-9590. Many people reported they couldn't keep the system stable and quiet with the combination.
You'd have to use dual radiator AIO Liquid Cooling systems to keep that running OK. On the other hand, though, the Noctua NH-D15 appears to be capable of keeping this CPU running OK.

3ogdy

Distinguished
It is not a good idea to use the H80 with the FX-9590. Many people reported they couldn't keep the system stable and quiet with the combination.
You'd have to use dual radiator AIO Liquid Cooling systems to keep that running OK. On the other hand, though, the Noctua NH-D15 appears to be capable of keeping this CPU running OK.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That cpu is a hot, unstable, monstrosity even at stock clocks. It might be okay but I have heard about people with bigger coolers than that needing to underclock that cpu a bit to get it stable. If package temps exceeds 62c the cooler is likely not adequate.

Ryan_78

Honorable
1. why the heck would you buy that
th
of a CPU in the first place. your motherboard is also a big matter, only 990 based 20 phase boards (usually 150$ or more) it only performs as good as an i5.
the STOCK cooler by AMD for the FX 9590 is an H80i. and as we all know stock coolers are meant to be thrown away or sold on eBay
AMD reccoemnds a H110i or above, or a NH-D14 or better. the cheapest cooler is the Deepcool Lucifer (cools 300w)

my suggestion is ditch that and get a E3 1231 V3 or i5 6500-6600k depending on OC and grab a zheap B150 motherboard. it will greatly outperform ANY AMD chip ATM

3ogdy

Distinguished

I agree the 9590 might not be worth the hassle with cooling especially having Zen coming out "soon", but...

1. 20 phase boards? The Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is an 8+2 phase board and it fully supports the CPU.
2.AMD recommends at least the H80, not the H110i or above.

Ryan_78

Honorable

Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)
watch for that. it wont even run at 4.7GHz. that what it means. it throttles it down slightly. no point

also you know really stock colers aren't the best option for AMD chips anywas

3ogdy

Distinguished

I know stock coolers are coolers capable of cooling a CPU. Capable doesn't mean it will lower it's operating temperatures considerably, but the CPU will work to spec.
I mentioned the board because it fully supports the CPU. Special cooling means : Don't use your average run of the mill heatsink and fan on this chip - go huge / liquid or don't take it home. Again, people have this chip working on air cooling without throttling.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I know stock coolers are coolers capable of cooling a CPU. Capable doesn't mean it will lower it's operating temperatures considerably, but the CPU will work to spec.
I mentioned the board because it fully supports the CPU. Special cooling means : Don't use your average run of the mill heatsink and fan on this chip - go huge / liquid or don't take it home. Again, people have this chip working on air cooling without throttling.

chizrah

Respectable
Jun 25, 2016

Let's be honest here, AMD chips are never really the best option, are they ;)

3ogdy

Distinguished

Honestly, they could very well be when Intel implies spending cash on new motherboard, sometimes new RAM too. The FX-9590 is not a slow CPU by any standards - is it hot? Yes, it run very hot - it's got a 220W TDP!
I own AMD systems and I'm very happy with them. The OP is using "upgrade" not "configure new system", which means he'd only spend the cash on the CPU, not the motherboard or other hardware require to make it work apart from cooling.

Mirzet

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
So I looked at all of your comments and I have come to a statement that I won't buy AMD after all.

I used to have a I7-2700K, but sold it because I couldn't find a motherboard that would fit in my pc, since the LGA1155 are nearly gone in Denmark.

I was looking at i3-6100 & i5-6500 & i5-6600 - Which one would you guys recommend?

I do not intent to overclock any of them, my main focus with the CPU is to run games such as GTA V stable.

Regards Mirzet

3ogdy

Distinguished

Buying an i3 for gaming is like riding a bicycle at the World Rally Championship.
Depending on the price difference between the quads, get the 6600 if you can afford it. It's about 8% faster than the 6500 - so if the price difference is by any means considerable for you, you should stick with the 6500 as it will serve you very well, especially in games such as GTA V, which recommend quad core CPUs

The cheapest 6500 I could find. Alternative.
The cheapest 6600 I could find. Alternative.

Mirzet

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
That comment about i3 lmao.

There is a difference between 10 bucks on 6500 and 6600

But to upgrade from 6600 to 6600K there is a amount of 23 dollar difference. I do not imagine myself overclocking it.

Is there any other reason to buy the K-version other than overclocking?

Regards Mirzet

3ogdy

Distinguished

There actually is. Imagine you'd need more performance out of your CPU in the future. With a non-K CPU you'd have to buy a new CPU, but with a K-version you could just increase the multiplier, overclock the chip and squeeze a bit more performance out of it so that you can keep it for longer.

Ryan_78

Honorable
Lest be honest. The 6500 doesn't match the clock even for those who argue to the E3 1231 V3. 3.4GHz and 4C/8T. I7 4770 for 230$
Squeezing more performance so you could keep it longer. Yea i7 2700k is still as good as a 6600k. Stock speeds.
So I mean whatever suits you. OC is only optional.h
There is close to no point in them if you don't verclock. So I suggest the E3 1231-3 or E3 1230(40)-5 CPU. Overclocking is only a small excuse for the loss if IPC and more instructions and better communication between the newer chips.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well believe it or not that i3 6100 will beat that 8 core amd 9590 at 5.0ghz in some games, particularly games that rely heavily on a a single or a couple of very fast cores rather than a lot of slower cores. However I would definitely recommend the i5 to anyone who takes gaming seriously there are some games where that i3 will really struggle. As for the i5 6500 vs 6600 there is not much of a difference the 6600 has a 100mhz higher base clock and a 300mhz higher turbo clock so I wouldn't expect any large difference between them. However if it were me I would probably still get the 6600 especially if I never planned to overclock. I would only get the 6600k if I planned to overclock but like 3ogdy said you never know if you will change your mind in the future its very easy nowadays too. Keep in mind you would need a Z170 motherboard if you got the 6600k and planned to overclock it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

A xeon wouldn't be a bad idea either if you want to go haswell. You would certainly get more cpu power for the money.

Ryan_78

Honorable

:bounce: :D
Yea it's at the cost of a slight lower memory bandwidth.

Mirzet

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
So guys, I got 1 last question.

Now that I decided to go for the i5-6600K, I will need a new mainboard

My cabinet for my pc is m-atx, and the only mainboard that supports 1151 and DDR3 at the same time is this one: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170M-E-D3/

Can you guys give any feedback on that, I really dont want to invest in new rams aswell...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Im sure its a good board. However im not sure how well it will do overclocking, only 4+1 power phases and no heatsink on the VRMs.(although I have heard skylake doesn't necessarily need them with good case airflow) So im not entirely sure how well that board will overclock.

Mirzet

Commendable
Jun 27, 2016
The overclocking is for future use.

I can't seem to find any other boards that support my ddr3 ram and 1151 socket, if you guys got any suggestions, you're of course welcome to give input on other boards.

Anyway guys appreciate all the help you give (Y)