[SOLVED] Could a 1800-Plus lumen flashlight damage my LCD monitor screen if used in extreme close proximity?

ICantAffordAGPU

Prominent
Oct 2, 2021
Long story short I have been using this ridiculously bright and focused police flashlight while cleaning my screen. The screen in question is an IPS LCD screen, and it is on a laptop.

Basically, I guess I got a bit too OCD about checking for scratches after I accidently used a microfiber cloth that had dirt on it, and in doing so I repeatedly held this flashlight, which has the brightness of an atomic bomb while looking into it, up to the screen while looking for any damage. Here are some further details:

-The screen was generally off while I did this, but there were a few times when it was on

-I held this light probably within an inch of the screen in many areas. All 1800 lumens of this lights output were focused onto these areas (probably about and inch and a half across) for a short time

-While never for too long, The light would be held the same spot for let's say around 10 seconds at a time

-The light does not seem to generate much heat despite its insane brightness. I've held it up to my hand for 30+ seconds and very little heat is generated

-Yes, I probably am a troglodyte

-I haven't done this in a few days and there doesn't currently seem to be any issues thus far other than the normal lightbleed around the edges

-The flashlight seems to have a slight magnification to the lens, and plenty of reflective coating around the LED itself.

For reference, an iphone flashlight has around 50 lumens. The flashlight I used is 36 times brighter.

Are LCD screens light sensitive, and if so have I royally messed up? Any answers would be really appreciated because this is brand new laptop and it wasn't cheap.

Solution
No. If you think about it, there are plenty of LCDs that get direct sunlight but they don't suffer any noticeable problems. If there's anything that'll damage them, it's heat or pushing against it too hard.

ICantAffordAGPU

Prominent
Oct 2, 2021
No. If you think about it, there are plenty of LCDs that get direct sunlight but they don't suffer any noticeable problems. If there's anything that'll damage them, it's heat or pushing against it too hard.
Thank you so much for the reply.

I guess I'm not very clear on how an LCD Functions. My assumption was that such an intense and focused light had the capability to interfere with the chemicals used in such a screen, but again I'm no expert on liquid crystals.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lcds are 2 part displays. First part being the display itself which deals with the frequency (color) in the pixels and the second part is the light. Most Lcds are edge lit, have a band of light all the way around the edge which refracts off a mirrored surface, this is where you get the 'ips corner bleed' from as the corners have a higher intensity of light than edges or center. Best monitors are back-lit, which has a board of mini-leds that cover the entire back surface, which can offer over 2000 dimming zones compared to 4-12.

This applies to lcd, tft, oled, ips, va panels, the differences in those panels is in How the display deals with the pixels, not in how they are lit.

Your flashlight isnt going to affect the panel. What would affect it is a heat gun or hairdryer held close where the heat from that will affect how the panel deals with the frequency and voltages per pixel. Most reviewers will turn on a monitor and let it run for several hours, just to get good and warm, because a cold display has far less color accuracy and performance than a warm one.

TRENDING THREADS