Question Could a PSU that died harm a motherboard in a way that it could kill a GPU?

DappaDann

Honorable
Jun 18, 2015
Basically I had a PSU die and took a 3070 with it. So I purchased a new PSU and get the 3070 RMA'd. All is fine until about 2 moths later when the 3070 dies and is not detected by the motherboard.

Now im worried maybe the motherboard killed the GPU, is this a possibility?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Basically I had a PSU die and took a 3070 with it. So I purchased a new PSU and get the 3070 RMA'd. All is fine until about 2 moths later when the 3070 dies and is not detected by the motherboard.

Anything is possible but then you ask is it likely.

If it worked for 2 months I would lean more toward another dead video card.

They have been a good bit of the RTX 3XXX cards biting the dust.

Pytheus

Prominent
Oct 28, 2020

I don't think the motherboard itself could damage the GPU, at least I don't believe it's likely. The power to the PCIe slot is provided by the ATX power connection. I believe the PCIe controller for the GPU is part of the CPU. The motherboard is mostly just a bus for connecting the CPU to the different I/Os and memory.

I would lean more towards the RMA'd GPU had weak components that didn't initially die during it's original fault and it was just their time.