Could a server computer run as a regular PC?

USAFRet

Titan

If you have no concern about your electric bill, and if you like sitting next to a jet engine at idle, and if you're not concerned about the applications you use not using all that horsepower...sure.

Driazz

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
It really depends what you use it for. You got gaming computers that run servers on games, like my friend has a garry's mod server on his own personal gaming computer. Or you could do unRAID (I would do research for that) for a server, it allows you to have Virtual Machines. LinusTechTips did a video on that a while back. Personally I think if the server is small and you have a computer that can handle the server, yes you can run a server on a regular computer, I just hear lots of ram is needed. But again, it all depends on what the server is for.

USAFRet

Titan

My main system runs a standard i7, and multiple VM's.
My HTPC/house server runs in a standard i5-3570k, and runs Windows Server2016 just fine.

You do not need a "server" for all that.

A business class server has many other functions.
Failover PSU's, dual CPU (with the right motherboard and OS), fit in s standard 19" server rack...

The word 'server' is not some magical thing.
But if you buy an old used Dell 2900, be prepared to have it live in its own closet.

Driazz

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
When you run multiple VM's like you are, are you gaining the max performance as you would with the unRAID server? (I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, I'm just wondering)

To be honest, I did forget about the giant router or what ever it is that my friend has for his server. And I guess he no longer uses his main computer.. Well rip me, but I'm still wondering about that question.

Multiple motherboards would be pointless though, and in fact cause a lot of issues if trying to use as a "regular" PC.

Optimize based on whatever SOFTWARE you wish to run (games, video editing?).

If you want something "cool" maybe look into the aesthetics of it such as a side window and liquid cooling with colored liquid, LED's etc.

USAFRet

Titan

Depends on what you mean by "maximum performance"

For instance...Development purposes:
VM1 - Server2016 + SharePoint
VM2 - Win 10 client
VM3 - Win 8.1 client
VM4 - LinuxMint
VM5 - Ubuntu.

The 3 Windows boxes all talk to each other in their own little network. Build something in SP in VM1, and see how it works in the Win 10 and 8.1 clients.
It's not hosting 1,500 users.

The problem is that people see the word 'server', and automatically assume one of the blade things that live in a server rack.
Loud, hot, and making your electric meter spin like the prop on a quadrotor.

In reality, 'server' is a concept. Depending on need, actual parts may differ.
But you can run cause anything to be a 'server'. From a Raspberry Pi on up.

TRENDING THREADS