Could I have a faulty graphics card

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Recently I moved a graphics card (Radeon HD7660) from an older PC to my newer PC.
Since doing this I am experiencing the screen going completely blank for about 2 seconds which seems to happen completely randomly. It may not go blank for some time after I power up and sometimes very soon after powering up. Sometimes it happens once and other times it will happen twice withing a few seconds.
I posted this problem some time ago and received a few replies such as "try reseating the card on the mb" to "update the video driver". I also asked the manufacturer (Saphhire) who suggested getting rid of any NVidia software when I did - although I read that all that was required when changing graphics card was to uninstall the previous video driver before removing the old card which I did.
I also went through the registry and removed anything with the word 'nvidia' in it.
The problem has NOT gone away.

My question now is - is it possible for a video card to have an intermittent problem (causing the monitor to go blank briefly intermittently) such as I have?

I did not have any problem with the old very basic NVidia card.

BTW my system has a 500watt PSU, a i7-4770 CPU and GA-H87M-HD3 Mb and the MB drivers are up to date.

Thanks

John

BubbaBobBobBob

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Did this new computer used Nvidia or Radeon before video drivers before?
I suggest you get Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.7.4.1 from Guru3D and do a complete (safe mode is your friend) uninstall of the graphics drivers and then reinstall them. Next step the power supply and or power wires...

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks for your suggestions.

The PC used to have NVidia drivers and software installed before I installed the 'AMD/GeForrce' graphics card.

I will try the Display Driver Uninstaller to see if it does anything for me but I am now thinking that it could be the power supply (the other suggestion) although if the power supply is 'dodgy' wouldn't I see other problems?

The older PC (where the graphics card was taken from) has a well known power supply (Widetech) whereas the newer PC has a 'no name' PSU which came with the tower and all up it was quite cheap (probably about the same cost all up as I paid for the Widetech PSU). They are both labled 500 watt.

Do I assume correctly that 'generic/no name/el cheapo' PSU's although labled as say 500watt may not always supply that power compared to a well known (Widetech) PSU?

BubbaBobBobBob

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

It's possible your power supply does not have enough power for it, but I also assume that a NVidia card was installed in this computer because of prior drivers, so that should not be a problem, UNLESS your old NVidia was a puny single slot card and I do not know how much juice a HD7660 used, I'm a team Green (NVidia Fanboy)...
What is the power of the other computers power supply (which the card came from is it also 500w?)

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Both PCs have a 500watt rated PSU.
Yes I now prefer NVidia graphics cards. I bought the HD6770 a couple of years ago which seemed to have 'more bangs per buck' as they say compared with a similar priced NVidia card.
I now intend to get a GTX950 in a few months time when they drop in price (according to what the sales people at my favorite PC shop says).
I might swap the video cards back to see what happens.
Right now I am waiting to see if the screen goes blank after running the video card uninstaller program.

I also meant to ask if I should try a Windows 7 'repair' or are the risks not worth a possible fix?

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
For a short time I thought that running the Display Driver Uninstall had fixed my problem but just a short time ago the screen went blank again for a about 2 seconds.

I just remembered that this HD6770 card has a PCI-E 4 pin connector and the PSU unit did not have a 4 pin plug so I used a 'converter plug' which attaches to a molex plug. So it is either an older PSU or an 'el cheapo'. Not sure if this could be a problem. Maybe I will disconnect the 'converter' and reconnect in case the connection is not good and/or connect it to a different molex if I have a spare one.

If that don't work I guess the next thing to try is a new PSU but that will be an expensive exercise if it also doesn't fix the problem.

gokitty199

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

amd recommends a minimum of a 450W psu. i cant find how many amps it needs on the 12v rail, whats your power supply

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Hello
The PSU has on it the following -
NUMAN model AT-500H
500watt PEAK POWER
+3.3v 24A
+5 20A
+12V1 16A
+12V2 16A
-12V 0.5A
5V5b 2A
The 6pin plug to the HD6770 shares power with the DVD drive.

I am starting to think that the PSU could be the culprit remembering that it seems to be a generic/el cheapo PSU which came with the tower case.
When a graphics card manufacturer states that 450watt PSU is required do they mean 450watts at 12V or a PSU which has a minimum 450W totally (all rails)?
Mine has 2 X 12V each of 16A (total 32A) which is only 384 watts total (at +12V)

Thanks

John

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Well this problem has been solved by me.
I found that for some unknown reason there was both a digital and analogue cable connected to the monitor. ONLY the DIGITAL cable was connected to my PC and when I removed the analogue cable the problem stopped.