[SOLVED] Could I link an additional HDD to my primary one?

May 16, 2020
Hello all,
I have a 320GB HDD Could I add an additional HDD Drive as extra storage so that the additional HDD is linked with the primary one?

Solution
Cool thanks RET! So when the primary one is full it'll just start using the other one?
No, it doesn't work like that.

Instead, you'll choose this other drive as a location for your downloads, music, other personal files.
Browser settings, you can designate a folder on that drive as the default download location.
Personal files...whatever application you use, you can "Save to..." or Save As..." to some folder on this other drive letter.
Then, with most current applications, it will suggest that location (on the D drive) as where to save the next file to.

kanewolf

Titan
Cool thanks RET! So when the primary one is full it'll just start using the other one?
Not the best approach. When you have the second drive, you explicitly choose it for things. Your C: drive needs to stay below 90% full. So you have to look at things that can be easily moved. Say photos or videos. Those are easily moved disk-to-disk. Programs not as easy. BUT for future installs, you can choose an "advanced" install and explicitly install on the second disk. You can set your browser to automatically download to the second disk.

Reactions: Mick19

USAFRet

Titan
No, it doesn't work like that.

Instead, you'll choose this other drive as a location for your downloads, music, other personal files.
Browser settings, you can designate a folder on that drive as the default download location.
Personal files...whatever application you use, you can "Save to..." or Save As..." to some folder on this other drive letter.
Then, with most current applications, it will suggest that location (on the D drive) as where to save the next file to.

Reactions: Mick19
Solution