[SOLVED] Could I use 3 monitors with a core i3-12100?

Denis54

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
I want to build a new computer that I will use with 3 separate screens. I am not a gamer and I have basic needs. However I do not mind to spend a few additional dollars to have a fast computer. Could I use an i3-12100 for this without using a separate GPU? If so can you also recommend a motherboard that would support 3 screens?

Solution
K, that sounds good and all, unfortunately it somewhat lacks accuracy.

I have seen MANY users over the years that go with high end everything else and a cheaper CPU, with the intention to upgrade to a higher end CPU at some point down the road. I've seen plenty of people who've bought Z boards with i3's and Pentiums, and then a year later popped an i7 or i9 in there. Now, I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's certainly the kind of thing I'd not want to make assumptions about and get directly from the user just to be sure.

However, I do agree that the addition of a low end graphics card is likely the best way for this to happen regardless of motherboard choice, except that right now the cost of even the lowliest graphics cards...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
He's hunting an i3. He'll be DDR4. If he could afford DDR5 he'd have a better cpu.

What's needed is a motherboard with 2x DP and HDMI or DP-Hdmi - dsub. Hdmi won't split into 2 monitors simultaneously. There were some older boards that had dp-dvi-dsub or hdmi-dvi-dsub, but the dsub/vga was an offshoot of the dvi, so only supported 2x monitors one DP and one dvi or dsub.

Honestly it's be far easier just to get a $20 GT-710 and use that in combination with the motherboard outputs.

It's not the cpu, you could use a 6th or 7th gen cpu and get triple monitor output. The issue is the motherboards rarely support such since most who make a motherboard also make a gpu.

Reactions: KyaraM
K, that sounds good and all, unfortunately it somewhat lacks accuracy.

I have seen MANY users over the years that go with high end everything else and a cheaper CPU, with the intention to upgrade to a higher end CPU at some point down the road. I've seen plenty of people who've bought Z boards with i3's and Pentiums, and then a year later popped an i7 or i9 in there. Now, I'm not saying that's the case here, but it's certainly the kind of thing I'd not want to make assumptions about and get directly from the user just to be sure.

However, I do agree that the addition of a low end graphics card is likely the best way for this to happen regardless of motherboard choice, except that right now the cost of even the lowliest graphics cards is going to run you an extra 60-75 dollars.

Another important question here is going to be what the models of the monitors are, because it's rather to hard to say ANY graphics card or motherboard is going to work with them without knowing exactly what options for inputs they have.

Solution

Denis54

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks for your comments. Here are the answers to your questions I have 3 Dell U2412M monitors with a resolution of 1920 X 1200. They have 3 inputs options: DP, DVi or D-sub.

I also plan to use DDR4 and I have a Mid Tower case. I plan to use a B660 as I feel it is sufficient for my needs.

Would these MB be appropriate for my needs:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145375?Description=GIGABYTE B660M DS3H&cm_re=GIGABYTE_B660M DS3H--13-145-375--Product&quicklink=true

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145372?Description=GIGABYTE B660M DS3H&cm_re=GIGABYTE_B660M DS3H--13-145-372--Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=MSI+PRO+B660M-A

Why would it be simpler to use an old GPU like a GT-710? I am not challenging your comments. I am not very knowledgeable and I just want to educate myself.

Also I am not a gamer and an i3-12100 would be more than sufficient for my needs. I do not plan to upgrade the CPU in the future>

Last edited:
Why would it be simpler to use an old GPU like a GT-710?
Yes, it would. But, in addition to and WITH at least one output on your motherboard as well.. I mean, you might not have to since you have a non-digital input on at least one display, but it's definitely a much better option anyhow because even the low end cards are still mostly better than the integrated stuff. Supposedly some new stuff coming that challenges that, but been hearing that for years. So......