Could my powersupply run SLI 980 ti's?

KLawinger

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
i have a thermaltake toughpower grand 850w gold psu, it dosent say that it supports SLI officially but its definitly enough wattage.

looking for more input, would this work

Edit: it easily has enough connectors, thats not the problem. i was wondering if since it dosent say its officially supported on the website page if it is safe to use. as ive seen most psu's have a badge that says SLI certified

thanks guys

Solution
You have to open the case or the psu's manual to see if can even support sli (unofficialy). But again if you are into spending 1500$ you should also upgrade your psu. I'd say 1000W would be perfect for such a high end system.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
What do you mean it doesn't support it officialy? Doesn't it have 4 pci e connectors? I believe that with 2 980ti it would run in about 750w depending your configuration. If you want to overclock the cpu or the gpus i would suggest to buy something of a higher wattage (evga, corsair, seasonic, superflower). Generally i think it would put a decent amount of stress on your psu and with 1500$ cards in there i think it is counter productive.

KLawinger

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

from what ive noticed most power supplies will be "SLI certified" but this one is not

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
You have to open the case or the psu's manual to see if can even support sli (unofficialy). But again if you are into spending 1500$ you should also upgrade your psu. I'd say 1000W would be perfect for such a high end system.

Solution