Question Could my RAM bottlenecking my entire system?

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
Hi community, hope you are well.

Recently I upgraded my old msi 1060 gaming X to a old gigabyte gtx 1080 and I notice that I am not using my cpu or gpu at maximum performance, for example BF V, maximum setting I get like 90fps but my cpu is at 60% and my gpu between 80-90%. Coul it be that my RAM is too "old"?
My System:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700 3.6Ghz
MotherBoard: Asus EX-B250M
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4-2400Mhz
Disc: SSD SAMSUNG 870 EVO 1TB
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W

Ty for your time.

You cannot overclock DRAM on a B series board of that generation so even if it was, which there's no reason to believe it is, there's nothing you can particularly do about it without making more dramatic changes to your system.

Chances are that it's your system in general holding things back, but even at 60% usage a single core or two could easily be at 100% which would be your limitation. Generally speaking if the GPU usage is in the 90s then you're relatively balanced, but as it dips lower typically that signifies CPU limitation.

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
You cannot overclock DRAM on a B series board of that generation so even if it was, which there's no reason to believe it is, there's nothing you can particularly do about it without making more dramatic changes to your system.

Chances are that it's your system in general holding things back, but even at 60% usage a single core or two could easily be at 100% which would be your limitation. Generally speaking if the GPU usage is in the 90s then you're relatively balanced, but as it dips lower typically that signifies CPU limitation.
But while playing Elden Ring the CPU is at 50% and the GPU at 70%, in theory I should be getting more performance right?

marques-1998

Honorable
Sep 26, 2017
Your PSU is a bit weak, for that GPU, just as an fyi. I do think it's time for a platform upgrade.
I thought the same, and I will upgrade it soon, do you think that's teh problem?
I dont think so because playing other gpu intensive games like RDR2 I dont have any problem, gpu stay at 99% and I get like 70 fps.
Ty for your time once again.

TRENDING THREADS