Could Nintendo's Mysterious 'NX' Console Run On An AMD Zen APU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Everyone - All games are now the same (as movies) so the only thing left at this point that can make us a bit "excited" is VR. Otherwise, we have to deal with ANOTHER CS or Battlefield. Oh my it's sad, wait, we have resolution to help out now. Your PC can't handle 4k!! It's not the game engine anymore... it's, can it handle 4k???

We are at the end and the ONLY thing that will save us from streaming some stupid game to our TV via WIFI with a Bluetooth controller is VR. That is ONLY whats left.

Considering you can run any game maxed out with a 2600k (Yes, I said it) and a 980ti @ 60FPS. (4k, yes, buy 2 980ti's)

WatchingUser

Reputable
May 29, 2015

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

oh, no crap its not as good as the current consoles, i was talking just in terms of tablet devices, at one point a tegra was close to the most powerful you could get, and gpu wise, they may still be the king among tablets, but no one wants a tegra in their tablet anymore.

WatchingUser

Reputable
May 29, 2015

Oh for sure that its the most powerful mobile chip. At the same time the tablet business is shrinking as its more of a novelty item than anything that leads to why nobody is investing the money into powerful tablets.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

honestly, i don't think they are a novelty, most people can get by on a phone, but god knows i would rather have a large screen,
most people can get by on tablet power, but i know i would prefer a real computer over a tablet interface.

if tablets went the way of older laptops (dont know if they still do) where you dock them into a base station and can get more power out of them, more functionality, that would be perfect, but you aren't doing anything that required real power on a tablet.

at the same time, you aren't getting the gains you use to every cpu/gpu generation.

largely that's why everything slowed down,

tablets got good enough to do everything expected of them smoothly,
pcs haven't had a basic program crap out on them sense dual core cpus and unless the bloat gets real, we likely never will see basic programs requiring more then a dual core,

really, thats why everything is slowing down at least on the consumer end.

hell, i'm on a phenom II 955 and am waiting on zen to either go 6 core intel or 8 core amd, with 32gb of ram because i can easily use that much power/space, but 99%+ people don't.

AMD is working on many projects right now to have time to release a Zen APU this early:

- 2 new Polaris GPU dies
- Zen CPUs
- new GPU architecture + HBM2 - Vega
- new APU for PS4K
- probably a 14nm die refresh for Slim PS4
- probably a 14nm die refresh for Slim XBOX One (Microsoft needed a Slim version since day 1)
- probably a new APU for future XBOX One upgrade (like PS4K)

Plus they just released Fiji with a new memory standard.

Too many things on AMD's plate and it's team is not as large as it once was.

AMD has been working on things for their entire existence.

It's just that Nvidia and Intel have been working on better things the whole time.

fykusfire

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
The AMD/ATI and Nintendo partnership actually began just after the N64 in 1997 due to members of SGI leaving and forming Art-X, which was purchased by ATI in 2000. Nintendo and Art-X developed actually developed the Gamecube internals, prior to the ATI purchase.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

wow SGI lost alot of talents .. nvidia as well was formed by ex SGI members as well ...

Status
Not open for further replies.