[SOLVED] Could PC software be granted access to my data like mobile apps?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Usually when I start a mobile app I am asked if permission for photos or other data stored on my mobile
device is granted access. In most cases, I don't see any such notification when installing PC software
(On windows). Does it imply that PC software usually cannot get any data stored on my local drive?

Solution
Usually when I start a mobile app I am asked if permission for photos or other data stored on my mobile
device is granted access. In most cases, I don't see any such notification when installing PC software
(On windows). Does it imply that PC software usually cannot get any data stored on my local drive?
If you haven't tinker with Windows privacy settings most apps have access to all data and is being gathered when browsing the web.

Windows 10 Modern apps have permissions you can control, just like a mobile device.
You could control access to resources ( location, camera, microphone, and photos) just like on your mobile device.
Click the Start menu icon, click on Settings, Apps, Apps & Features, click on an app, and if you...
If you haven't tinker with Windows privacy settings most apps have access to all data and is being gathered when browsing the web.

Windows 10 Modern apps have permissions you can control, just like a mobile device.
You could control access to resources ( location, camera, microphone, and photos) just like on your mobile device.
Click the Start menu icon, click on Settings, Apps, Apps & Features, click on an app, and if you see “Advanced Options.” below it then you could adjust settings.
It only works for modern apps from the Store (aka:UWP) and traditional Windows desktop apps/software could have access to everything, and there’s no way to control it.

Last edited:
Reactions: brannsiu
Solution

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Click the Start menu icon, click on Settings, Apps, Apps & Features, click on an app, and if you see “Advanced Options.” below it then you could adjust settings.
It only works for modern apps from the Store (aka:UWP) and traditional Windows desktop apps/software could have access to everything, and there’s no way to control it.

One last question:
If the traditional Windows desktop apps/software is traditional, will I be able to find its permission section?
In other words, if I am able to find out and configure those permission does it mean it is modern desktop apps/software?

One last question:
If the traditional Windows desktop apps/software is traditional, will I be able to find its permission section?
No, you won't find a permission settings for traditional Windows desktop apps/software

In other words, if I am able to find out and configure those permission does it mean it is modern desktop apps/software?
Yes, modern apps have permissions and privacy settings a user can control.