[SOLVED] Could playing at 1080p on a 2080ti result in cpu bottlenecking issues?

Sep 29, 2020
Hi all,

Have had a 2080ti for a while now and have always noticed it to not living up to my expectations frames wise. I have a pretty good rig I would say, but Im not even getting close to the benchmarks im seeing on youtube so Ive been trying to find the cause for such low frames at 1080p. I read somewhere that playing at 1080p with a highend GPU can bottleneck the CPU, so would just upgrading to 1440p solve the issue or would you recommend a CPU upgrade, Thank you.

Specs

Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard

GPU - NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition

CPU - AMD Ryzen 2700x

RAM- Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16

Solution
What is your goal, and what is your definition of "bottle neck".

With a 2080 ti at Ultra settings on 1080p, yeah, that 2700x is probably limiting your maximum frame rates, but that might not make ANY difference at all, depending on what your refresh rate is. If you have a 60hz display, then pushing 80 or 140 FPS isn't going to do you a bit of good. If however, you have a 144hz display then having a more capable CPU would certainly be helpful if you are maxing out at say 80-100FPS and could use that extra 40-60 FPS, as an example. Obviously the numbers are being thrown around loosely here.

Changing to a 1440p display would certainly increase the demand on your graphics card, but it isn't going to do anything to change what your CPU is...
What is your goal, and what is your definition of "bottle neck".

With a 2080 ti at Ultra settings on 1080p, yeah, that 2700x is probably limiting your maximum frame rates, but that might not make ANY difference at all, depending on what your refresh rate is. If you have a 60hz display, then pushing 80 or 140 FPS isn't going to do you a bit of good. If however, you have a 144hz display then having a more capable CPU would certainly be helpful if you are maxing out at say 80-100FPS and could use that extra 40-60 FPS, as an example. Obviously the numbers are being thrown around loosely here.

Changing to a 1440p display would certainly increase the demand on your graphics card, but it isn't going to do anything to change what your CPU is capable of and if you are not getting high enough frame rates now to suit you, you aren't going to get any higher frame rates after changing resolutions either. In fact, they'll probably either stay the same or go down in some circumstances.

The only way to increase performance is to change to a higher performance CPU. Changing resolutions will make things LOOK better, and will slow down your graphics card, but your graphics card going too fast isn't the problem. Your CPU going to slow IS. Or more appropriately, it MIGHT be, because you might not HAVE a problem if you are hitting frame rates that are near or above the refresh rate of your monitor. It doesn't do you much good to increase your frame rates to 80FPS if you have only a 60hz display.

Solution