Could someone help me understand the whole Windows 10 upgrade plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
I have windows 10 technical preview installed as a dual boot on my computer, along with the original copy of windows 7. What confuses me is that they say windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will be free for the first year. Does that mean you get to use it for a year before being charged? Or is it just like a promotional thing where only new copies will cost after the 1 year grace period-esque idea?

Solution
I don't know where you got the free year thing from, and I'm pretty sure it's trollspeak, but the fact is that Microsoft has stated that anybody who has purchased and registered a valid licensed version of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, will be eligible to upgrade to windows 10 for free when it's released.

OEM versions that come preinstalled on devices will not be eligible for the upgrade. It must be a purchased version.

That's it, and that's all.
I don't know where you got the free year thing from, and I'm pretty sure it's trollspeak, but the fact is that Microsoft has stated that anybody who has purchased and registered a valid licensed version of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, will be eligible to upgrade to windows 10 for free when it's released.

OEM versions that come preinstalled on devices will not be eligible for the upgrade. It must be a purchased version.

That's it, and that's all.

Solution
They stated you would be able to use Windows 10 for the "lifetime" of your device. I am assuming this means that it will be a non-transferable license, and tied to the mobo that you install it on. After the one year period, if you want to upgrade, you must pay to upgrade (prices were not released, but given historical numbers - it will be around $90-$200 depending if you get the "CORE" or "PRO" version (core = home users, pro = business clients).

what microsoft said at the windows ten launch event is users of the older software will have one year to get a free upgrade of there os. most times these free upgrades are going to be from microsoft store for windows 8x or a service pack update. as a tech i dont like doing "upgrades" from one os to another. a lot of time old software or damaged windows files can some time ah heck the upgrading pc and you can brick the os. happened to me when i tried to upgrade windows 10 jan update. I had to wipe and reinstall windows. a friend of mine when he tries to update his windows 10 his msi mb on reboot blanks out. I hope the free update is a clean new iso cd/usb image. so that people can have a clean new os on there pc.

USAFRet

Titan
One thing they have not stated is what to do about current, clean Win 10 installs.
Many people are just using the current Win10 Preview as their primary/only OS. Dumb, yes. But there it is.

Overall, the future path is not fully fleshed out.

In response to inquiry about OEM versions, and, I suppose, probably generic all purpose statement. Apparently the stance on this is still undecided.

*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.