Question Could these problems be a faulty motherboard?

Gunner115

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
- Frequent (1-4 per hour) and random small disconnections, very frustrating.

Seemingly random disconnects that last a few seconds. Only noticable while playing online games, even livestreams don't appear to disconnect. Using a powerline for internet connection. I bought a USB ethernet adapter which appeared to fix it. I updated to newest version of BIOS to try to fix the mouse+keyboard issues as the update said improved USB device compatibility, however this caused the problem to come back. I reverted to a previous version and did a dns flush which has helped but I worry that the problem may come back. I've watched network activity in Windows Resource Monitor and see nothing unusual when the disconnections happen. Quite sure this issue isn't my router or service provider.

- Frequent (1-5 per hour) mouse jitter, not a big deal but still annoying.

Small jittering that moves my cursor a few pixels. I've bought a new mouse mat and tried another mouse, both had the same issue. Using Logitech Gaming Software and have also tried Logitech G Hub.

- Very rare (only happened twice in last 3 months) keys sticking, not physically.

A couple of times I have been typing and a key ends up being stuck as if the key is being pressed when it isn't. Only fix I've found is to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in.

Unsure if the problems are related but they seemed to all begin happening within the last few months. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My best guess is the motherboard as it's one thing they all have in common.

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (1~ year old)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 1800x (3~ years old)
  • GA-A320M-HD2 Motherboard (5~ years old)
  • EVGA 600 Watt PSU (3~ years old)
  • Logitech G502 Hero.
  • Logitech G110.
  • Windows 10 - Version 21H2

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Please include the age of the unit apart from the make and model. As for your platform, did you clear the CMOS after you've verified that your motherboard's BIOS was successfully updated? As for your BIOS, what version are you currently on at this moment of time? Version(not edition) for your OS?

FYI, even if the board was brand new, you shouldn't have paired that processor with that board, instead pairing a B350 chipset or something higher when working with the Ryzen 7's.

Gunner115

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. I've updated my post to include PSU+OS info. As for my BIOS I didn't clear CMOS as I had never heard of it before.

Current version of BIOS is F31, which is not the most up to date version available.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've updated my post to include PSU+OS info. As for my BIOS I didn't clear CMOS as I had never heard of it before.

Current version of BIOS is F31, which is not the most up to date version available.
I'd suggest going ahead and updating to the latest BIOS (F51g). Being on F31 you've met the prerequisite already.

AMD's fixed several problems with things like USB connectivity, which could be affecting you even though running Win10 on a 1st gen CPU, in addition to memory compatibility and stability. It may not be important to you but you will also gain the ability to upgrade even as far as a Ryzen 5000 CPU and then upgrade to Windows 11.

And definitely reset CMOS if you never have. Reset it also after updating BIOS. Check your manual for location of the pins and how to do it.

Last edited:

Gunner115

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2014
I will try updating back to the newest BIOS and clearing CMOS. However I've been considering getting a new motherboard anyway for various reasons, and especially since
Lutfij pointed out that it shouldn't be paired with my current CPU.

Apologies if this isn't the right place but is it possible to have any recommendations for motherboards in the £100~ price range?

Would MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4, for example, be compatible?