Question Could this be a virus??

Ralston18

Titan
I did not click the link.

I did my own search for the game and found a similar link but it was "en-US" not "es-ES". Probably a path difference targeting specific areas and/or languages.

If you are interested in the game then do your own search and then validate the website(s) that appear.

If not interested then just delete the email and, if you deem it necessary, block the sender.

Was there any meaningful text in the email? Something clearly indicating the source is truly that "guy".

Consider that someone else could be using his name/email address and that he is not at all involved.

Just be watchful for similar attempts by him or others.

I get regular "e-mails" from someone using a relative's name. I know that the emails are not from her. Emails are deleted unopened on sight.

Reactions: jimenezbcg

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
Thank you for the answer. I just clicked it and it took me to the epic games page and I didnt download the game.

I am wondering if by clicking and entering he might have put a spyware on my pc and can see my pc or something, do you think this is posible or can it be malicious?

B!gMeme

Commendable
Sep 14, 2020
Thank you for the answer. I just clicked it and it took me to the epic games page and I didnt download the game.

I am wondering if by clicking and entering he might have put a spyware on my pc and can see my pc or something, do you think this is posible or can it be malicious?
In this case, the root of the URL is "epicgames.com" which if you visit this root URL, it is Epic Games' official website. While gauging URL safety based on this does not always confirm safety, it does here since Epic Games closely moderates their game library.

The safe thing to do is always right click on a link, and copy link. Then paste it to notepad. Then examine said link. There was a problem for years where the text in the email would say one thing, but the actual hyper link pointed to malicious servers which would then create a frame and launch the actual store inside the subframe.

jimenezbcg

Reputable
Jul 10, 2018
The safe thing to do is always right click on a link, and copy link. Then paste it to notepad. Then examine said link. There was a problem for years where the text in the email would say one thing, but the actual hyper link pointed to malicious servers which would then create a frame and launch the actual store inside the subframe.
Could be this the case?? please help.
How can I examine it, I have run my kaspersky anti virus and says no threats or risk.
I didnt download anything but is it possible with entering the link he can spy my pc and stuff?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Could be this the case?? please help.
How can I examine it, I have run my kaspersky anti virus and says no threats or risk.
I didnt download anything but is it possible with entering the link he can spy my pc and stuff?
Thanks in advance

If the pasted link goes to the valid website (for example the email said "www.activision.com" and the pasted link text says "www.activision.com", then you have little to worry about. But if the pasted link said "www.randomoddservername.com" then I would not click it. But this only works IF you copy the link, NOT the text.