Could This Be the EOS? Nokia Teases New Lumia in UK Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am a very happy Lumia 920 owner myself, but if you try one understand that win8 is as of yet still a work in progress. The phone I bought in December is hardly the same phone I have today. On the one hand it is exciting to have a phone that gets a fairly hefty update every month or two, but on the other hand it is getting those updates because it is still an immature OS which really needs a lot of those updates. Personally, I find it adequate already, and the updates are just a bonus, but I came from a 'dumb phone' with very few expectations. Coming from a platform like Android or iOS which is already a relatively 'finished' product could be a little annoying at all of the little things that are still being figured out on the much younger platform.

For example, at launch we were promised DataSense and an actuial NFC "Wallet" option, and neither has made much of a real appearance yet (Data Sense is confirmed to be coming... but talk of making wallet do what it is supposed to has been very quiet). But then again on the other hand they have followed through on their promise for free Pandora for a year, and the 'missing apps' issue has been less and less of an issue, and last month I found out that my phone will be getting FM radio over the summer (apparently the hardware is there, and one of the GDR updates will enable it). And yet there are other things like volume control that they can't seem to get right yet... so while I enjoy it (and enjoy it a lot), there is still a lot of room for improvement. Just know what you are getting into.

Still, I am super stoked about the L928, and this new EOS 'catwalk' phone making their debut tomorrow. Gives me something to look forward to, and it is fun to see where the platform is headed.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
If Nokia release an enhanced camera phone called EOS, I am thinking Canon will be hitting them with a court case. Nokia casually dropping Canon's legendary DSLR branding 'EOS' in their camera centered phones naming doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.

Manuel Tamesis

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
- It seems like the HTC One has set a high bar. I hope this phone is competitive.
Dude.. don't know what you have been smoking... This phone is mostly about the CAMERA it has on it's back... So in what way or form has HTC set the bar "high"... that's what you are... with it's "STATE OF THE ART" 4MP camera.... if there is a company that has set the bar high... its NOKIA... NOW WAKE UP HTC FANBOY!!!
- I have Sammy S4 and an Ipad 3 btw....

Manuel Tamesis

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
- It seems like the HTC One has set a high bar. I hope this phone is competitive.
Dude.. don't know what you have been smoking... This phone is mostly about the CAMERA it has on it's back... So in what way or form has HTC set the bar "high"... that's what you are... with it's "STATE OF THE ART" 4MP camera.... if there is a company that has set the bar high... its NOKIA... NOW WAKE UP HTC FANBOY!!!
- I have Sammy S4 and an Ipad 3 btw....

alextheblue

Distinguished
CaedenV, WP8 devices on Verizon have had Data Sense from the very beginning, and it's really nice! The live tile is my data-monitoring buddy, and loading the app allows me to look at both my cellular and WiFi data usage (including some nice breakdowns by app/source). Blame AT&T for that one.
My Lumia 822 has been the best phone I've owned. Really rock solid. So much so that I'm not as bothered by Verizon dragging their feet at getting a 92x model as I thought I'd be. I am a little chapped they didn't get the bigger Ativ S model, opting instead for the inferior Ativ Odyssey. The Odyssey clashes with the 822 and loses on almost every front. If they had released the Ativ S instead, I would have probably purchased that over the 822.

grantwar

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Nice to see Nokia shaking things up a bit and really putting things into perspective for the other phone manufacturers who've been resting on their laurels for a bit (looking at you apple and samsung).
The comment about Cannon suing Nokia about the name is really thoughtless. EOS is the internal codename for the phone, it'll be called something similar to the lumia 920 (maybe lumia 950 or 1000?). So any mention of EOS is just a leaked name to keep us off the scent.
And the mention of the HTC One having set the bar high for a camera is quite laughable! The Lumia 920 has a better camera in many situations, in fact most camera's on flagship phones at the moment are pretty similar with some small discrepancies (ie. good low light; motion blur reduction). Each has its selling point, yet none deliver a full package thats truly "better" than the others.

bsparky11

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
I just meant the HTC One is a great overall smartphone. I never said anything about the camera setting the bar high? ... The truth is, I'm like g-unit1111. I want to try a WP8 as well, that's why I have high hopes for "EOS".

Status
Not open for further replies.