Question Could use a suggestion for a new Sound Card. Currently have Asus Xonar.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I have one of Asus's Xonar sound cards and the computer doesn't see the damn card until it warms up. That still requires a reboot.

This is apparently a long known problem based on other posts I've seen, but I haven't seen any response from Asus on the matter. I mean, it must be hardware, component expansion from heat, so not much they can do but recall. (NOT likely)

Currently used with Sennheiser HD 558 open back headphones, although they're getting old so I may upgrade them at some point.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your motherboard?(by that I meant to ask what your onboard sound card is, since the Sennheiser HD 558 's are known to be easy to drive with an onboard soundcard. Speaking of sound card's, Asus have a number of Xonar soundcards in their product portfolio, which one do you have?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
What is the make and model of your motherboard?(by that I meant to ask what your onboard sound card is, since the Sennheiser HD 558 's are known to be easy to drive with an onboard soundcard. Speaking of sound card's, Asus have a number of Xonar soundcards in their product portfolio, which one do you have?
I think this should have everything. It may not show the onboard sound, which is some Realtek thing.
Your right about the XONAR (dur for me) and it's a STRIX. The screenshot should show it.

EDIT: I'm skeptical that I have the STRIX Pro. I'm pretty sure it's actually the SOAR. I don't have the extra hardware that comes with the Pro.

View: https://imgur.com/UNjnqjQ

Sep 20, 2024
Onboard will be fine to drive the 558s, but you'll still get better sound quality from a dedicated DAC.

If you wind up needing to replace the card I'd suggest getting an external USB DAC.
No drivers required, and you won't need to use a PCIe slot on your board(s) anymore.

Something like a Schiit Modi or JDS Atom (DAC) would be good.
If you need an amp down the road for higher impedance cans then you can buy their respective counterparts.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Wha? Seriously? I thought I could hear some difference in the Strix SOAR vs the Realtek, but that could be all in my head. I wouldn't need an amp as I get migraines so I never have the sound cranked up.

I actually don't remember what a DAC does so I'll have to look it up. Cleans up the sound, removes noise?

Since I may replace my 558s, what is a good sound card out there that doesn't clog your computer down with a lot of bloat software? I mean, bloat that I actually sort of need to use the device properly.

Last. Have you heard of this issue with the Asus STRIX SOAR where it has to warm up and then when you reboot the computer usually sees it? I'm guessing there's no workaround since it involves heat.

Thanks a lot!
Onboard will be fine to drive the 558s, but you'll still get better sound quality from a dedicated DAC.

If you wind up needing to replace the card I'd suggest getting an external USB DAC.
No drivers required, and you won't need to use a PCIe slot on your board(s) anymore.

Something like a Schiit Modi or JDS Atom (DAC) would be good.
If you need an amp down the road for higher impedance cans then you can buy their respective counterparts.

Sep 20, 2024
Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC), this is what enables a digital file to translate into an analog signal needed for speakers / headphones.
Your PC (board, card etc), phone all have them, but the difference lies within the DAC itself.

If you don't notice much difference between your board and the Xonar, just use that.
There's a level of subjectivity here, so whats good is good (for you).

If you prefer the card, but not the headaches, I'd still suggest an external USB DAC.
They don't have to require drivers or software, once connected they simply bypass the onboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: thestryker
A lot depends on the quality of the material you're listening to. If its high quality .wav or flac or something similar then a DAC would do the material justice. But if its lower quality mp3s or internet broadcasts which are compressed at some point then the motherboard audio is chip is adequate. Same goes for the type of music; high quality classical or recorded live jazz would warrant a DAC. But electronically generated or processed music would sound just as well from the motherboard's sound chip.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
So you would use a DAC instead of any sound card, or through either my Asus SOAR or on board sound?

I listen to lots of different things. Music, gaming, movies. I try to get FLAC if possible. If it's a video/movie/anime, I try to get either FLAC or Opus. Sadly, a lot of people still use AAC. Games? I have no idea what the quality of the output sound is.

Regarding surround sound, which is nice, would you suggest I get a software solution like Dolby, dts, or something else?

Thanks

Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC), this is what enables a digital file to translate into an analog signal needed for speakers / headphones.
Your PC (board, card etc), phone all have them, but the difference lies within the DAC itself.

If you don't notice much difference between your board and the Xonar, just use that.
There's a level of subjectivity here, so whats good is good (for you).

If you prefer the card, but not the headaches, I'd still suggest an external USB DAC.
They don't have to require drivers or software, once connected they simply bypass the onboard.

As long as you're not worried about surround sound it's generally going to make a lot more sense to get a USB DAC instead of a sound card if your onboard audio doesn't cut it.

A lot depends on the quality of the material you're listening to. If its high quality .wav or flac or something similar then a DAC would do the material justice. But if its lower quality mp3s or internet broadcasts which are compressed at some point then the motherboard audio is chip is adequate. Same goes for the type of music; high quality classical or recorded live jazz would warrant a DAC. But electronically generated or processed music would sound just as well from the motherboard's sound chip.