Could use advice on video card upgrade, 760 ain't cutting it anymore!

Apr 6, 2018
mobo- z97
cpu- 4790k 4Ghz
ram- 16GB
current gpu- evga gtx 760 superclocked 4GB

Would this be a significant upgrade from a gtx 760 superclocked 4GB? Or would I be held back by the 192 bit memory interface? Would it be worth paying $150 more for a 256 bit memory interface with slightly shower core clock, boost clock, and memory clock? (not much slower)

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126113R

Solution
Depends if you're looking at MSRP or not.

For <$500, your strongest available (new) card is a 6GB 1060. It's a mid-range card, capable of 1080p high/ultra currently. BUT, with an MSRP of $250, I wouldn't pay the near $400 required for one in April 2018.

A 1070 is a stronger card, available in the $500-$550 range but a similar story. The MSRP on the card is about $380 or so

Currently, it's a horrible time to try to buy a GPU - new, at least.

Nier automata's minimum requirements is a 770, so that is going to be tough to play..... but does that warrant overpaying on a GPU? Only you can decide.

That 1060 is open-box, and STILL 50% above MSRP. A 1070, at $530 is *only* about 40% above MSRP.... so I guess, could be...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It would be a solid upgrade yes.

For comparisons with the generations, a 6GB 1060 is a little better than a 780TI.
A 760, by modern standards, competes in the same general ballpark as a 1050.

A 1060 6GB / 780TI = High/Ultra, 60+FPS, 1080p (generally speaking; depends on the title)
A 1050 / 760 = Low/Medium, 30+FPS, 1080p (again, generally)

So, while a nice upgrade... is it a "$390" upgrade though? Probably not (IMO).
A 1060's MSRP is $250 or so..... so the best part of $400 is the result of the crazy inflated market we're in.

Apr 6, 2018
I'm trying to upgrade to play the "new generation" pc games. I want to play Nier automata for example, but I can't run the game fast enough on my gtx 760. So what would be a solid enough upgrade to run 1080p high/ultra settings on the games coming out this past couple of years, and the next two years to come, that would be justified by the cost? I'm trying to stay as low under $500 as possible, really don't want to go over $400.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends if you're looking at MSRP or not.

For <$500, your strongest available (new) card is a 6GB 1060. It's a mid-range card, capable of 1080p high/ultra currently. BUT, with an MSRP of $250, I wouldn't pay the near $400 required for one in April 2018.

A 1070 is a stronger card, available in the $500-$550 range but a similar story. The MSRP on the card is about $380 or so

Currently, it's a horrible time to try to buy a GPU - new, at least.

Nier automata's minimum requirements is a 770, so that is going to be tough to play..... but does that warrant overpaying on a GPU? Only you can decide.

That 1060 is open-box, and STILL 50% above MSRP. A 1070, at $530 is *only* about 40% above MSRP.... so I guess, could be considered the [strike]better [/strike]least horrible "deal" if you truly need a new GPU today.

Used cards are an option too (albeit with some added risk).
For example, 980TI's have sold on eBay in the last little while for ~$350.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=980%20ti&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

You're looking at 1070 performance (give or take a few %), with an increased power draw.
Something to consider, but used cards are not for everyone.

IF you possibly can, I'd wait -- or look to the used market.

Solution
Apr 6, 2018
I'm wondering how long the wait will be though. From what I've been hearing it could be a couple of years before we see the market decrease for current generation cards, and I'm feeling pretty sluggish lately with my current gtx 760. Witcher 3 on medium settings, Nier Automata is unplayable, and I'm scared to even try Kingdom Come Deliverance. I know this is bad timing, but the performance hit is becoming aggravating.

How much of a boost in performance should I expect out of a 980TI? Let's say for example I see 20 to 25 fps on the Witcher 3 with all graphics cranked up, can I expect 60 fps 1080p on a 60 hz monitor? Or anywhere close?

GPU prices are coming down because there's some taxation on Ethereum being enforced. Another week or so and prices should be at the levels of late August/September of last year. Not the worst time.

Let's just say that you can probably run Witcher 3 at >60 FPS 1080P 60Hz.

Apr 6, 2018
Appreciate the feedback y'all. If prices are really going down soon, then I'm leaping over the moon. I just started taking care of a family, my girlfriend and my son in a new home, and we're finally getting to a point where we have the things we need and can start spending a little extra now. A budget card would be sweet, and the 980 TI sounds like a good bet.

Edit: I forgot to ask. How important is it to look at the memory interface? do I NEED 256 bit?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Lots of speculation on timeline and, while things are looking up a bit.... it's impossible to say definitively.
The used market may be flooded, if mining isn't too viable..... but it's still going to take time for retailers to get stock of cards "new".
The MSRPs will also have increased by $25-$50/card, due to the increased cost of GDDR5.

A 980TI can do Ultra @ 1440p (with a couple of tweaks like hairworks off) at 60FPS+ for the Witcher3.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review,15.html

So yes, comfortably >60FPS at 1080p.

Congrats and good luck!

Apr 6, 2018
Apologies, edited final post but in case it got missed I had one more question.

Edit: I forgot to ask. How important is it to look at the memory interface? do I NEED 256 bit?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Do you NEED 256? no.
It's one measurement, and could factor into a decision, but needs to be considered as part of the overall picture.
I'd be more concerned with raw/benchmarked performance in the tasks/games you need it for.

For example:
A 1060 is a 192bit, 980TI is 384... a 1070 is 256, a 1080ti is 352bit.

So, if the memory interface was the only consideration, a 980TI would be "best" card. It's not though.

There's much, much more that factor into a card performance than just the memory interface/bandwidth available.

Apr 6, 2018
I have some knowledge of reading card specs, but that particular one I was unfamiliar with. I made my last choice based on core clock, memory, boost clock, and cuda cores, and quite frankly forgot to factor in that bit with the memory interface. I never did research on it.

Since prices are supposed to be dropping soon, anywhere you would recommend I can keep an eye on the market for them? Other than shopping around on ebay and newegg that is.

Thanks for the responses y'all, really appreciated. I'm looking forward to purchasing a new card in the next (possibly) few weeks.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Paper specs are one thing and, while a useful tool, I'd always recommend checking out benchmarks opposed to strictly comparing the specs.

Same deal applies. IF you can afford to wait a little while (couple of weeks minimum, I'd expect), you might have some luck with new cards from retailers with stock..... I would anticipate it will take a few months to normalize in pricing to near MSRP.

Usually this would relate to the "should I wait for the next X or Y GPU launch" and I would say:
If you don't need a new card today, there's no harm in waiting.
If you NEED a card today though, then buy what you need. If you always wait for the 'next big thing', you'd never buy anything :lol:

BUT, this is a unique time. With the prices of cards, it's really tough, even though you do NEED a card for the titles you want to play.

I think the only option you wouldn't regret buying (if prices dropped tomorrow, or a new line of cards launched etc) would be a 980TI for $300 or so.
1070 level performance, for 3/4 of a 1070's MSRP. Whichever way you spin it, and whatever happens in future, that's still a good buy.