Question Could use some advice on whether to get an egpu or a desktop.

FishHead0012

Prominent
Aug 1, 2022
I have a ThinkPad p1gen 2 that has an i7-9850H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz with 16gb of ram. The laptop has a Quadro 2000 t2 graphics card. which cant really play that much. I was wondering if it was worth getting a 3070 ti and connecting it to my laptop through the pcle slot or using the razer chroma x. Would you say its worth me waiting around 1 and a half years to save up to buy a full setup with the new gen graphics cards or get an external graphics card for my laptop now. I would want to play at a 3440/1440p resolution at around 120fps with high graphics. Could the setup with the laptop run that or is it to much to handle. Thanks very much for your input as im not to experienced in this and would like to learn more.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your laptop should have a Thunderbolt 3 port which means you have access to an external GPU dock. If you have the funds and can be patient, I'd side with a proper gaming system, leave your portable workstation laptop as is.

FishHead0012

Prominent
Aug 1, 2022
thanks for the advice i shall take a look if i have the port, i would say if anything goes on offer i might go for it but for now ill be patient. I would love to hear others input but for know i think ill wait