[SOLVED] Could you use a touch screen monitor as a graphics tablet?

LastVampyer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Solution
I would say, no. You are better off with a low end graphics tablet without a display like a WACOM Bamboo or Intuos. In nearly every case that I've seen the sensitivity just isn't there with touch screens. On something small like an Android tablet you can get away with using a stylus for notes, but the sensitivity required for any kind of digital art is dubious in most cases. Move up to touch screen displays meant for desktop and the digitizers are basically just ok enough for finger use.

The linked graphics tablets would be the better choice, but I can't speak to their quality. I've used a good number of WACOM products though, and know that those work really well. My advice is to read the reviews on the graphic tablets to try and...
I would say, no. You are better off with a low end graphics tablet without a display like a WACOM Bamboo or Intuos. In nearly every case that I've seen the sensitivity just isn't there with touch screens. On something small like an Android tablet you can get away with using a stylus for notes, but the sensitivity required for any kind of digital art is dubious in most cases. Move up to touch screen displays meant for desktop and the digitizers are basically just ok enough for finger use.

The linked graphics tablets would be the better choice, but I can't speak to their quality. I've used a good number of WACOM products though, and know that those work really well. My advice is to read the reviews on the graphic tablets to try and figure out if they will work for you.

Personally, I use a WACOM Bamboo Touch and an older Intuos 3, as well as a Surface Pro 2 for anything artsy that I'm doing. The screenless graphics tablets are pretty good for most applications. They take a little getting used to as you need to train your hand-eye coordination. A lot of cheaper embedded screen graphics tablets, including things like the Surface, suffer with accuracy issues because there is always a gap between the surface of the input surface and the screen below it. You'll draw a line near the edge of the screen and it will be visibly off from where you intended to draw it, which is kind of a pain. Higher end products don't have this problem, but at this price point I'd be wary.

So... avoid touch screens. A basic graphics tablet might be your best bet. Check those reviews on the linked tablets for tracking issues and color accuracy. Purpose built devices are generally better. Good luck!

Solution

LastVampyer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

The linked graphics tablets would be the better choice, but I can't speak to their quality. I've used a good number of WACOM products though, and know that those work really well. My advice is to read the reviews on the graphic tablets to try and figure out if they will work for you.

Personally, I use a WACOM Bamboo Touch and an older Intuos 3, as well as a Surface Pro 2 for anything artsy that I'm doing. The screenless graphics tablets are pretty good for most applications. They take a little getting used to as you need to train your hand-eye coordination. A lot of cheaper embedded screen graphics tablets, including things like the Surface, suffer with accuracy issues because there is always a gap between the surface of the input surface and the screen below it. You'll draw a line near the edge of the screen and it will be visibly off from where you intended to draw it, which is kind of a pain. Higher end products don't have this problem, but at this price point I'd be wary.

So... avoid touch screens. A basic graphics tablet might be your best bet. Check those reviews on the linked tablets for tracking issues and color accuracy. Purpose built devices are generally better. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! <3

I already have a WACOM Intuos, for about a year now, but I still struggle with the hand/eye co-ordination part like you said. I just figured that If I'm drawing on a screen that it might be a little easier. My friend let me use his Cintiq and it's wonderful but it's expensive.

I've looked up a few reviews on YouTube for the XP-Pen Artist12 and they look okay but you can never really tell until you use it for yourself.

How do you feel about the surface Pro 2?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! <3

I already have a WACOM Intuos, for about a year now, but I still struggle with the hand/eye co-ordination part like you said. I just figured that If I'm drawing on a screen that it might be a little easier. My friend let me use his Cintiq and it's wonderful but it's expensive.

I've looked up a few reviews on YouTube for the XP-Pen Artist12 and they look okay but you can never really tell until you use it for yourself.

How do you feel about the surface Pro 2?

Thanks
Personally, I love my Surface Pro 2. It was the last Surface product with a proper WACOM digitizer, and it took them a while to get their current Surface products back to that same level, but any modern Surface device, even the cheaper Surface Go will work alright with the pen input. It won't be anywhere near the Cintiq as those things are AMAZING, but they should still be pretty good. Honestly a Surface Go with the pen would be a good investment if you travel a lot and just want to sketch, draw, and do some light Photoshop work the Surface Go would be a good little machine, and as long as you aren't all gamery, it is a good laptop replacement.

Feb 17, 2020
XP-Pen is really great, it has a good quality/prize ratio most of the time. I have the Artist 12 Pro (not Artist 12 - https://www.xp-pen.com/product/479.html ) and it does the job . the pen has great pressure sensitivity, the colors are perfect and you can draw directly on the screen !

I have thought about the Surface pro , but I do a lot of vector work and was the main thing I wanted to get it for.