Question Couldn't get to BIOS with HDMI cable, and reset button is malfunctioning ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2922392
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2922392

Hello, I really need some help with my the issues of my PC here, my setup is listed below:

CPU: i5-12600KF
GPU: MSI VENTUS 3X RTX 3060
Motherboard: Asus TUF Z690-plus DDR4 WiFi
RAM: Kingston Fury DDR4 8GB *2
PSU: Asus ROG STRIX 650w
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

The story goes like this:

One day I decided to change my cable management so I unplugged all the connectors from the motherboard, GPU and PSU, and later plugged everything back in. I turned on the pc and noticed that the white VGA light was on, but the monitor has display like usual. I tried to press the front panel reset button of the case but it didn’t not reset the whole machine but just everything connected to the motherboard (before I did the cable management the reset button could turn off the whole machine including the peripherals like the fans and turn on again). The display turned off as well and I tried to go into the bios to check if something went wrong so I held down the F2 key. The pc did not show the boot menu/icon (which it always did before) and did not enter the bios, instead, it booted Windows again. I tried using DP instead of HDMI and I could finally get into the bios (the VGA light did not light as well), however, the reset button still could not function normally. Can anyone tell me what’s going on and how to fix all three of the problems ?

What I’ve already tried but did not help:

• Reset CMOS
  • Make sure everything is plugged in properly
  • Reinsert the GPU
  • Boot with one RAM stick
  • Reinstall the GPU drivers
Really appreciate it if someone could solve my problems or at least tell me whats going on here🙏.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if removing the front panel connectors from the motherboard, then using a screwdriver to power up the system then trying to go into BIOS using the hold down Shift key when pressing on restart option(start menu) helps you to get into UEFI firmware.

held down the F2 key
You need to tap DEL key once you power up the system for the first time.

D

Deleted member 2922392

I removed the connectors, used a screwdriver to boot the system and spammed the del key but it didn’t go to bios, I tried to restart and spammed del key again but still didn’t work. The vga light was still on all the way

D

Deleted member 2922392

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if removing the front panel connectors from the motherboard, then using a screwdriver to power up the system then trying to go into BIOS using the hold down Shift key when pressing on restart option(start menu) helps you to get into UEFI firmware.

held down the F2 key
You need to tap DEL key once you power up the system for the first time.

After a day, when the pc boots it’s still not showing the TUF logo, I still can’t go into bios and the front panel reset button still cant function like how it used to. Is it my motherboard’s problem or what? Did I break it? If not what can I do to fix it? Please help🙏

Lutfij

Titan
The vga light was still on all the way
You might want to source a donor discrete GPU, something that's lower in specs just so you can get display out of.

Something tells me your cables might be messed up...have you tried breadboarding?

D

Deleted member 2922392

You might want to source a donor discrete GPU, something that's lower in specs just so you can get display out of.

Something tells me your cables might be messed up...have you tried breadboarding?
I've never heard any sound (audio and beeps) from my motherboard, I think it just doesn't have a beeper.

D

Deleted member 2922392

Also I'd like to ask by cables you mean the power cables or the connection port on the motherboard? Cuz if broken power cables is the case I can just get some new cables

D

Deleted member 2922392

So I just unplugged the 24 pin cable and checked of there's any obvious damage on the cable itself and the connection port, I didn't spot anything that's broken. Just now I tried using DP to connect the gpu and the white vga light did not light up as expected. I went into the bios (also I forgot to mention that whenever I get in the bios the yellow boot light lights up, is it normal?) and unplugged the DP and switched it to HDMI, there was no display at all (vga light did not light up but boot light remains on). What conclusion can you get?

D

Deleted member 2922392

Update: something weird happened, whenever I turn on my pc for the first time the background screen turns black for a while and then turns normal again. Any ideas why? Anyone???

D

Deleted member 2922392

I also noticed that the QLEDs on the motherboard flash oddly when I turn it on. The red cpu and orange dram light flash for a fraction of a second and after a second or so flash again, after another 2 seconds the white vga light lights up, boot light never flashes on startup.

Lutfij

Titan
Your board doesn't come with a buzzer soldered onto it, you're going to have to source a buzzer to hear for any beep errors. We can't just tell you what the issue might be after reading a couple of lines of your thread. You will need to go through a process of elimination, meaning you're going to have to source a donor part to replace the part that you're thinking might be the issue.

If you think it's the motherboard drop your processor onto a known working board and see if you can get into BIOS for that known working board. If the processor works on known working board, you have half your equation. You will then need to drop a known working processor onto your motherboard. If the system POST's and allows you to get to BIOS, then you have the other half of your equation. The processor might be the one at fault or the pins on the socket might be bent/broken.

I've expereinced it when repairing a client's system.

You might want to remove your storage altogether and see if you're able to get to BIOS at all. CMOS clearing usually allows you to get to BIOS.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2922392

Your board doesn't come with a buzzer soldered onto it, you're going to have to source a buzzer to hear for any beep errors. We can't just tell you what the issue might be after reading a couple of lines of your thread. You will need to go through a process of elimination, meaning you're going to have to source a donor part to replace the part that you're thinking might be the issue.

If you think it's the motherboard drop your processor onto a known working board and see if you can get into BIOS for that known working board. If the processor works on known working board, you have half your equation. You will then need to drop a known working processor onto your motherboard. If the system POST's and allows you to get to BIOS, then you have the other half of your equation. The processor might be the one at fault or the pins on the socket might be bent/broken.

You might want to remove your storage altogether and see if you're able to get to BIOS at all. CMOS clearing usually allows you to get to BIOS.
Thank you. I will try when I get a chance

D

Deleted member 2922392

Alright so I got a speaker finally and breadbroaded. Every single time I boot with only the internal components the speaker led out a continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps and after a long pause another short beep. After I plugged the keyboard and mouse back in, the beeper led out a similar beep sequence, but this time without the last short beep. Here is the beep code table from my motherboard's manual:

One short beep -
VGA detected
Quick boot set to disabled
No keyboard detected

One continuous beep followed by 2 short beeps - No memory detected

One continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps - No VGA detected

One continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps - Hardware component failure

I got a little worried cuz I thought the beep indicated hardware failure

Can anyone tell me what to do now? What is causing the problem?

D

Deleted member 2922392

Alright so I got a speaker finally and breadbroaded. Every single time I boot with only the internal components the speaker led out a continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps and after a long pause another short beep. After I plugged the keyboard and mouse back in, the beeper led out a similar beep sequence, but this time without the last short beep. Here is the beep code table from my motherboard's manual:

One short beep -
VGA detected
Quick boot set to disabled
No keyboard detected

One continuous beep followed by 2 short beeps - No memory detected

One continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps - No VGA detected

One continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps - Hardware component failure

I got a little worried cuz I thought the beep indicated hardware failure

Can anyone tell me what to do now? What is causing the problem?
P.S: Out of all of the attempts, none of them showed the motherboard icon nor let me into the bios, seems like the only way is to switch to DP but why?

Jul 13, 2022
Do you happen to have another LED with DVI connector? I had the same issue. I couldn't log into bios, it always just boots on windows. Still now, If I somehow reset my bios, I have to put my another LED just to get into my BIOS.

If you happen to login into the BIOS with another LED, just enable CSM support and plug in your own monitor, you will be able to boot into your BIOS.

D

Deleted member 2922392

Do you happen to have another LED with DVI connector? I had the same issue. I couldn't log into bios, it always just boots on windows. Still now, If I somehow reset my bios, I have to put my another LED just to get into my BIOS.

If you happen to login into the BIOS with another LED, just enable CSM support and plug in your own monitor, you will be able to boot into your BIOS.
Nope, didn't work. I switched to DP and got into BIOS, changed the CSM settings (enabled it), saved the settings and restarted with HDMI. Still, it booted directly to Windows, I tried to restart and get into BIOS but I couldn't. I switched to DP again and went to BIOS but I found out the CSM settings was disabled automatically. Boot light was on as always when I was in the BIOS with DP, once I switched to HDMI and restarted, the VGA light turned on again. Moreover, my desktop background now turned black.

D

Deleted member 2922392

Alright another weird thing I found out that I think might be related to my hardwares' malfunctioning: whenever I turn on the PC, the upper area of it, most likely (not 100% sure) the area around the CPU power connectors kept making low frequency buzz noises. Is this normal?

D

Deleted member 2922392

Um so I turned on my pc just now and it actually booted to the BIOS somehow (showed the 'AMI' page thing like first startup) and the BIOS settings are not default. After that it loaded to windows just like normally. No motherboard LED light was on at that time. When I thought 'how is everything fixed magically' I pressed the reset switch and found out it's still malfunctioning, the windows reset and this time it went back to the malfunctioning state again (vga light on again). What is going on?????

D

Deleted member 2922392

I figured out that whenever my pc starts after a long time, it boots normally (shows the TUF logo and no motherboard LED light lights up) and I can get into the BIOS, but whenever I press the case front panel reset switch, the vga light would light up again and I wouldn't be able to enter the BIOS. Also, in all start ups, my desktop background is black, but after I while whenever I click on the tab switching button on the windows dock bar my background picture would show up. What can I do to fix it? Should I send my board back?