Counter Strike Source on Linux Benchmarks?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Hey guys,

ive been looking into running my games in Linux, most noticeably Counter Strike: Source, ive been looking for benchmarks so i can see how the performance differs from linux and windows but have been unable to google any results other than instruction on how to install the game.

Does anyone here have any experience running Counter Strike: Source? and are you able to post some performance benchmarks?

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I’d imagine it would perform at the same level, frame rate wise, could even be less as the drivers for Linux are not as mature. But at any rate you have a cracking system, you would not notice any difference in the performance with this game, Also if you are using an LCD monitor there is no need for ultra high frame rates in CS as you wont be able to notice them regardless.

Basically it will work but on the same level if not worse than on Windows.

But looking to be proven wrong if anyone has any benchmarks.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
thats kind of what i was thinking, but i would need to run it in Wine, and wondered if because i would be using an emulator if there would be a noticeable performance hit, or even more interestingly if there was an increase, even on a system like mine. i might just try it tonight and upload some benchmarks for everyone to see.

P.S

gotta remember that CS:S is CPU dependant, not GPU dependent so i suppose the benchmark is down to how much cpu is being used by linux/wine, if i can get the original UT to work on there too im set and will be fully on linux :D

ill come back here and post my benchmarks from tonight, so heres my system spec for reference.

AMD 4400 X2 (OC 4800)
2GB Corsair Twinx Ram (2x1GB)
8800GTX XFX
4x 320GB HDD in Raid 5
1x 250GB HDD Main Disk
Praetorian Coolermaster case
600 Enermax PSU

few things to note, i wont be running the raid in linux so its just the 1 drive to worry about.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ok i got the game installed and working under wine, and it runs so slow its not worth mentioning really, i get about 1-4fps when running the video stress test >.<

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

Hate to say it but if you're going to play games, just go with Windows. If you want to run a server of some type, Linux is cool I guess, but I honestly think you're wasting your time trying if you're even bothering with a GUI. Stick to the shell for linux and use it for what it's good for, and do the rest of the fun stuff on Windows. Just my 2 cents.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

i really wish games worked in linux, i installed compiz and emerald, and i absolutely love the whole ubuntu
Interface with compiz, and i love the command line (i miss DOS). If i could get my games to work i wouldnt even consider XP, but i suppose im stuck with it for now.

cronic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
just to clear the air on this one WINE is not an emulator (thats actually its full name) and with optimizations in both WINE and the gfx drivers games will actually run faster in WINE than windows, XP or vista

EDIT: if your looking for higher frames WINE is not the way to go it rarely runs games faster than windows

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Well, CS:Source may run like crap in Wine, but you should be able to find linux clients for the original UT. . . I'm almost completely positive. For gaming and linux you can find opengl games that have linux clients. These will run just fine. Never really tried WINE anyway, since I've always had a Windows machine, but I'd honestly drop windows if I could game on a linux OS.