[SOLVED] Couple of Issues With My New Macbook Pro 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

waleed_871

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Hi , I purchased my first macbook and I'm having a few issues ..

It's a Macbook Pro 2014 (13 inch) .

First : The battery life , The battery supposed to last for 9+ hours , But the battery drained in 5 hours instead .. I only downloaded and installed a few applications (Creative Cloud , Photoshop CC .. etc) and watched a few videos on youtube .

Second : I'm having some "visual" issues , In some applications the text is overlapping , I'm not sure if this is a software compatibility issue or it's a problem with my video card "Inter Iris" .

Thanks in advance .

Solution
Um... What do you think? You're downloading something, which takes quite a bit of power to keep the mini-PCIe card running. Plus, continuous changing of the screen also contributes. Especially, when you're running the listed programs, the GPU would have quite a bit of load.

Apple ADVERTISED the 9 hours. In truth it depends on how you use it. The Apple fanboys would think the new MacBook Pro is awesome because they are getting a heck from the battery life. I bet it's used on websites of Apple topics. However, I would average 2-3 hours on a Hackintosh with a 5 hour battery, because of how intense I run my computers. Fast USB flashing, 3D Parametric modeling, and some "demanding" games.

As for the visual problems, I'm sure it's just a...
Um... What do you think? You're downloading something, which takes quite a bit of power to keep the mini-PCIe card running. Plus, continuous changing of the screen also contributes. Especially, when you're running the listed programs, the GPU would have quite a bit of load.

Apple ADVERTISED the 9 hours. In truth it depends on how you use it. The Apple fanboys would think the new MacBook Pro is awesome because they are getting a heck from the battery life. I bet it's used on websites of Apple topics. However, I would average 2-3 hours on a Hackintosh with a 5 hour battery, because of how intense I run my computers. Fast USB flashing, 3D Parametric modeling, and some "demanding" games.

As for the visual problems, I'm sure it's just a driver glitch. It happens, but a restart definitely fixed it. If not, then I would have the hardest time finding a Iris Pro .kext.

Solution

STFLightning

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
okcnaline is right. I bought a MacBook Air 11" last April and I can get 18 hours out of it or 4 depending on what I'm doing. For example, I can get around 14 hours of listening to music and web surfing but when I start playing something like Garry's Mod that drops to about 6 hours thanks to the online play and masses of objects to be rendered. Downloading things takes a lot off your battery, that's why when you download or update thinks via the App Store it says something along the lines of "Please plug in your MacBook to prevent corrupted downloads".

I personally advise you to plug in your MacBook overnight and que up any downloads you may want, especially things like games or Creative Cloud apps.

For the graphics issue, if it's every program I'd advise trying to boot into Safe Mode (Shift before Apple bong while booting) and see what happens, if it's only a few programs check their compatibility with your hardware and Yosemite (if that's what you're running).

urbanrider

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
1: Those numbers given by Apple are pretty generous. If you were reading emails all day with a medium brightness you would probably get that kind of life. Downloading and installing applications are taxing and not what Apple would include in there “typical” battery tests.

2: As for the overlapping text, it’s tough to say without more specifics. Is it an Apple program or a 3rd party program? If you haven’t restarted, do that and see if it fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.