[SOLVED] Coupling wireless networks. Extended range. Switching networks.

bob046

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Here is what I have now: A cable modem connected to a wireless router via an Ethernet connection.

What I want to do is access a remote wireless network using a high gain antenna system (which I can design and build) and convert it to an Ethernet connection I can plug into my existing wireless router. I'm not up on the nomenclature of devices, but what I think I want is a "wireless modem" which accepts a coaxial cable input (SMA, 2.4GHz)) and produces (via modem) an Ethernet output (RJ45).

What I have now Cable -> Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Wireless Router -> Ethernet and/or WiFi to various devices

So the chain would be: Remote network WiFi signal -> Antenna -> Coax -> Wireless Modem -> Ethernet -> Wireless router -> Ethernet and/or WiFi to various devices.

With a mechanical Ethernet switch I could go between the remote WiFi network and the Cable model connection. Or is this not so?

I'm not sure if this is practical, but if it is I have not been able to find a wireless modem with an RF connector for input and Ethernet output. Do such devices exist (at reasonable cost)? Maybe I'm not using the right name for it.

There would be two password, one for the remote network (wireless modem) and one for my local network (wireless router). I'm not quite sure how this would be handles. If the LAN is set up with the wireless router and it's password, then I'm assuming I could then access the wireless modem and chose the WiFi source network and provide the password for that. Again, does this make sense? My background is in RF systems, not network engineering!

Am I trying to do something that's impossible/difficult/stupid or is this a reasonable scheme? If so does anyone know of a suitable (preferably low cost) "wireless Modem" that takes in a 2.4GHz WiFi signal via an SMA connector and converts it to Ethernet with an RJ45 connection?

Thanks in advance for any advice, even it it's "You can't do that" or "That's not a good idea".

Solution
Your best bet is to browse ubiquiti site. The device you describe is called a client-bridge not really a modem.

Although they sell units with separate antenna and electronics nobody really does it that way anymore. The electronics has gotten so small they can put in inside the antenna enclosure. This eliminates the problem of loss between the antenna and the bridge. The cost of low lost microwave coax is very high. What you will find is you can get a complete antenna/bridge unit for about the same cost as just a antenna.

These are powered over the ethernet cable so it makes installation much simpler and less costly than buying long coax microwave cables.
Your best bet is to browse ubiquiti site. The device you describe is called a client-bridge not really a modem.

Although they sell units with separate antenna and electronics nobody really does it that way anymore. The electronics has gotten so small they can put in inside the antenna enclosure. This eliminates the problem of loss between the antenna and the bridge. The cost of low lost microwave coax is very high. What you will find is you can get a complete antenna/bridge unit for about the same cost as just a antenna.

These are powered over the ethernet cable so it makes installation much simpler and less costly than buying long coax microwave cables.

Solution