Question COVR-1100 mesh setup, ethernet backhaul

ThomasCro

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Hello people.

Since I have 4 COVR mesh devices, and the signal strenght is not good enough between a few of them (white blinking light), how do I connect the ethernet backhaul between them.

So I have a normal Nokia router as my main internet provider, with it's Wi-Fi turned off. Then I connect my first COVR-1100 with a cable from the router's LAN ports into the first COVR's Internet port.

So do I now "daisy chain" all the others, with the cable going from the first COVR's Ethernet port, into the second COVR's Internet port, then from the second COVR's Ethernet port, to the third COVR's Internet port, and so on?

Also, does my first COVR have to be in Router or Bridge mode for this sort of operation?

Another worry might be that you can't daisy chain more than two units.

Thanks in advance!

I have never heard of those devices and am too lazy to look the manuals up.

I am surprised they all have "internet" ports. That would make them all routers...if we assume internet means WAN like most routers call it.

You technically want them in "AP" mode. It is highly likely bridge mode is the same thing. There are 2 addition things you need to check. First be sure the DHCP is not running. You want to run the DHCP only on your main router. Next assign the lan IP to some address that does not coflict the main router or the other AP. If you assign them all to say 192.168.0.1 you have big problems.

You should be able to daisy chain them anyway you want. There technically is some maximum limit but it is some huge number that I forget it is at least many hundreds of devices.