CPU 100c yesterday but now fine..

Froxyy

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
So yesterday my pc was REALLY loud, all fans going crazy.. and the performance was horrendous; could hardly load Chrome or highlight things on my desktop without lagging. After a while I checked my BIOS and noticed it was at 100 degrees CPU temp, this was ALL of yesterday, not even usable.

Now I've done a few very minor updates (most of which I did yesterday and seemed like there was no improvement) I upgraded my BIOS from 2.5 to 2.7 (MSI Z170A-GAMING-M5) and it still wasn't particularly 'better'..

So I left it off overnight, switched off at the mains; booted up and it worked fine with somewhat normal temps at the started then slowly climbed to 100 degrees again and the fans started roaring.. So turned it off, went to work and came home to the same thing; starting from cold at 42C and climbed to 100C.. And now all of a sudden Core Temp and BIOS are averaging 20-30C and performing as it would normally..

Anything that could've happened? The only other time it performed as bad as it did I installed the new MSI driver and it was fine instantly, but I didn't do any drivers this time round..

(Sorry for not much information, honestly baffled and don't know what to say.)

Some forms of malware (bitcoin/etherium miners) will kick in when when computer is idle ( mouse not moving for 10 minutes, etc), hoping to evade detection...

I'd install/scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware and see if it finds/removes anything...let it remove/quarantine anything it finds, I've never had MBAM botch a system...

Check back with a yay or nay on it helping...

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Can you please provide us some Information about your CPU Cooling?
What cooler do you use?
Is it a Watercooler/Stock Cooler/Aircooled or something different?

Slowly climbing Temperature sounds like the CPU FAN isnt working...

Greetz Memphisto

ibuR

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Hi, this is actually really interesting. I'd like to know; why did you suggest about bitcoin/ethereum miner malware?

Casually, I researched about cryptocurrency some days ago, and before I had the issue with hight temperature, the previous session had been in iddle for a long time...
So my theory is that maybe some kind of malware got into my compture while I was researching in some website about bitcoin, and when I had my computer in iddle malware somehow got activated...

I obviously can't tell. When I noticed the problem, I powered off and rebooted the computer several times, even I removed SSD to prevent Windows from booting (to see if it was a OS issue) but nothing did actually work, fans still were going crazy and I could see temperature reaching 100ºC from mobo temperature sensor. So I just wait some before I attempted again, and magically this time nothing strange happened, everything was working fine.

This morning I've scanned with malwarebytes, got 5 results but from programs I know, It apparently solved by itself, I've been monitorizing performance and temperatures and everything is working properly.

(sorry about my limitated english)