[SOLVED] CPU 4 or 8 pin

Ararauna

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Maybe this is a bit stupid, but i want to be really really sure, so: my mb has 8 pin cpu connection and current psu has 4 pin plugged in, but i bought a corsair cx450m and it has an 8 pin cpu connection. I have ryzen 5 4650g, do i just plug all 8? Cause it looks detachable.

Ararauna

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Rule of thumb - if motherboard have 8 + 4 or 8 + 8 CPU power sockets, 8 pin cable in first CPU power socket is mandatory. Additional 4 pin or 8 pin cable is required for overclocking and top end CPUs like AMD 3950X/5950X or Intel K series.
Thanks for the info!
Also both ram slots are occupied and i wonder if i won't damage the closer module if i touch the flat side (it has circuitry i think) accidentally while pulling the main power cable? Can pliers be used for that?

Don't use pliers - you will break the connector and socket. CPU cable connectors usually have tiny latches at one side. Press the latch down and you will be able to pull connector out without problems. When latch is pressed try to wiggle the connector slightly - it must slide out.

Ararauna

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
I removed the cpu cable relatively easy, but there's the 24 pin one, i suspect the same applies to it?
Edit: managed to unlug it by inserting a flat screwdriver between and then pulling while holding motherboard socket down with screwdriver.

Also, with the "peripheral & sata" ports on thd psu, it doesn't matter which one you plug the sata cable in? As there are 2 above the label that look the same, but sata connection has 5 contacts and peripheral 4 pin has 4 contacts.

Last edited:
Yes, same apply for 24 pin ATX power connector and 6-8 pin PCIe power connectors. 24 pin connector may be tough, yes :)

Also, with the "peripheral & sata" ports on thd psu, it doesn't matter which one you plug the sata cable in? As there are 2 above the label that look the same, but sata connection has 5 contacts and peripheral 4 pin has 4 contacts.

Do not mismatch these. Use only SATA ports to connect drives with SATA interface.

Some SATA ports - for example SATA3 and/or SATA5 - may be shared with motherboard PCIe and NVMe slots. If you use NVMe drive or second PCIe adapter card, those SATA ports will not work at the same time. Check your motherboard manual to learn which ones are shared and use different SATA port.

Ararauna

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
I'm a bit confused now, maybe I wasn't clear enough :) I had in mind these 2 ports one the left: https://www.cclonline.com/images/avante/CX450-550M_01.png I forgot now, but I think I plugged the SATA into the top one, because I figured if the PCI one is 8-pin one at the bottom and the name is on top, then the 'peripheral', if it's different, will also be at the bottom. It seems to work though, some trouble with those connectors.