Question CPU 4 pin cables

Dec 24, 2022
Good afternoon,

I was hoping I could get some help on this.

I can't seem to find the correct answer for this or my understanding is lacking. However, I've never seen a CPU connector like this, I previously owned a AX860 which had two separate CPU cables to power the mother boards two 4 pin connectors. Now I've purchased a Gigabyte UD1000GM power supply and the CPU connector seems to be a 4+4, which looks like its daisy chained or something. I am using a z790-e motherboard which has two 4 pin connectors, my question is the picture attached has two 4 pins that connect to one cable is this ok to use this to power the two 4 pins on the motherboard?

20221224-180939.jpg
20221224-180910.jpg

Dec 24, 2022
One of the reasons why Gigabyte PSUs are crap.

Two 8 pins you mean?

I'm a little confused the box is calling them a CPU 4 +4 pin connector. Though its 8 pins on each which seems a little miss leading, though am I to use both to power the motherboard even though its connected to one cable?

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
4+4 means you can split each 8 pin into 2 x 4 pins. some much older mobo's only had a 4 pin cpu connection. so this gives backward compatibility.

so for a single 8-pin on the mobo, you'd use one of the 4+4 connections and tuck the other one out of the way.

That seems odd but I think you have the new version of that power supply that has the letters PG5 at the end.
That power supply has one of the new 16 pin video port connections used on stuff like 4090.
It does come with that strange cpu power cord if you look at the doc.

All I can think is power supply engineers are not stupid they must have designed that cable so you can not exceed the capacity. It is not like you are buying some cheap china clone.

Now if you REALLY wanted to and didn't need 2 cables for your video card you could likely buy another cpu cable designed for that power supply. There are a total of 3 connections that will take either the pcie cable for video or cpu.
If you for example using the fancy cable for a 4090 you would not be using the other 2 pcie ports on the power supply.

Dec 24, 2022
4+4 means you can split each 8 pin into 2 x 4 pins. some much older mobo's only had a 4 pin cpu connection. so this gives backward compatibility.

so for a single 8-pin on the mobo, you'd use one of the 4+4 connections and tuck the other one out of the way.

So you're saying essentially that even though the board has two 4 pins, i only need to have one attached and I shouldn't attach the other?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what specific board are we talking about?

i've not seen a modern board with 2 4 pin cpu connections. heck not even an old one. they went from 4 pin to 8 pin and then some had a 4 and 8 pin. but i've never seen a mobo with 2 4 pin cpu power connections.

Dec 24, 2022
what specific board are we talking about?

i've not seen a modern board with 2 4 pin cpu connections. heck not even an old one. they went from 4 pin to 8 pin and then some had a 4 and 8 pin. but i've never seen a mobo with 2 4 pin cpu power connections.

I may be mistaken here cause the gigabyte PSU box on the back is calling this cable a CPU 4 + 4 pin connector. But wouldn't it really be a 8 pin as there are well essentially 8 pins if you count them out. Either way I'm trying to power a Asus strix Z790-E board, I had both power connectors connected when I used my AX860 corsair PSU a few days ago with two individual "8 pin connectors" but decided to upgrade to this new PSU for the new 4090 cable. This is were my confusion comes in, do i need to connect both of these? They are both on one cable, I've never seen this before don't really want to mess anything up here

Hope I'm making sense feel like the gigabyte box is confusing me here lol

20221224-222536.jpg

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the motherboard has 2 8 pin power connections for the cpu. not 4 pins like you keep saying :)

and your psu has that cable with 2 x 8 -pin cpu power connections. (ignore the fact you can split it into 2 4pin connections. that;s not relevant here. they are 8 pin connections)

so yes plug both of the 8 pins from that single cable into the 2 connections on the motherboard. it is unusual to have them both on the same cable but they should have engineered it to handle the power draw. the psu is pretty good overall and can handle the power load if needed.

Dec 24, 2022
the motherboard has 2 8 pin power connections for the cpu. not 4 pins like you keep saying :)

and your psu has that cable with 2 x 8 -pin cpu power connections. (ignore the fact you can split it into 2 4pin connections. that;s not relevant here. they are 8 pin connections)

so yes plug both of the 8 pins from that single cable into the 2 connections on the motherboard. it is unusual to have them both on the same cable but they should have engineered it to handle the power draw. the psu is pretty good overall and can handle the power load if needed.

Alright thanks, lol second time building a computer first time was a doozie this second time was a little easier until i saw the split cable. To make matters worse they aren't even labelled so the PCI express cables have the exact same look only reason I was able to tell is cause it's slightly longer as described on the back of the box.

Feel like I down graded from my corsair one just to get this new ridiculous cable for the new future cards.

Again thanks for clearing this up here.

But wouldn't it really be a 8 pin as there are well essentially 8 pins if you count them out. Either way I'm trying to power a Asus strix Z790-E board,
The motherboard has two 8 pin CPU sockets. You can connect both but it's not working better than a single 8 pin because of the stupid daisy chained cable for the CPU/EPS.
but decided to upgrade to this new PSU for the new 4090 cable.
I would not trust a 4090 to a Gigabyte PSU. Gigabyte UD-GM is a revision of the explosive GP P-GM. The only Gigabyte worth considering is the Aorus.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM