Question CPU 5950x got fried 4 times

Dec 23, 2022
Hi folks, hope you are doing great!
What I am gona tell is a little drama happened to my CPU. Long story short - my CPU 5950X got fried/replaced 4th time for a row now (past 1w), and thankfully by warranty coverage I got it for free. A few weeks ago blue screen started appearing constantly with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR when browsing or using some UI stuff for EX using adrenaline software - frequency for BSOD appearance can be 1-5 min, but weird thing when entering & playing a game about 3-4h straight none of this happens.
So I did,
Step 1: delivered PC to seller and he replaced 3 new components - a motherboard, CPU, RAM.
Step 2: BSOD happens again, & sometimes when turning PC off CPU red light appear on motherboard -> REPLACED CPU 2nd time.
Step 3: PC won’t boot up & CPU red light sign popping up on motherboard - so I got CPU replacement once again.
Step 4: Guess what - right! Seller replacing now a motherboard, CPU and +CPU cooler all over again, additionally he told he has suspicion that cooler doesn’t work properly.
OMG what a loop!
The situation above kinda funny but I try to stay calm :)

I would really appreciate for any idea on what can cause my CPU to fry. Is it possible PSU be that criminal?

PC build:
CPU: Ryzen R9 5950x;
Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO V2;
GPU: Gigabyte 6900XT;
RAM: T-Force DDR4 32G;
PSU: SuperFlower SF-1000F14MP LEADEX PLATINUM SE 1000W
Cooler: darkFlash Tracer DT-240 ARGB Liquid

Last edited:
he has suspicion that cooler doesn’t work properly.
so keep an eye on system temperatures, especially the CPU, and see for sure.

if it turns out to be a temperature issue;
and if they can't get you a better cooler under your warranty it may be up to you to replace it with something better yourself.
or you may just end up going through this loop until the warranty expires and then you're stuck with a dead burned out CPU.

Reactions: Ohohoh
Dec 23, 2022
so keep an eye on system temperatures, especially the CPU, and see for sure.

if it turns out to be a temperature issue;
and if they can't get you a better cooler under your warranty it may be up to you to replace it with something better yourself.
or you may just end up going through this loop until the warranty expires and then you're stuck with a dead burned out CPU.
Thank you. When I tested CPU in worst case it didn’t go over 85c, is it too abnormal? Since my warranty is for 3 years they will end up bankrupted replacing it again and again XD

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't be the cooler. The cpu will boot, but reach shutdown temps if the cooler fails.

Whea errors are almost always a power issue to the cpu. Not sure what settings you have enabled, like PBO etc, but it might simply be that cpu is too much for the VRM's on that board. The B550 Auros Pro uses a 6phase doubled setup with 50A VRM's

Dec 23, 2022
Shouldn't be the cooler. The cpu will boot, but reach shutdown temps if the cooler fails.

Whea errors are almost always a power issue to the cpu. Not sure what settings you have enabled, like PBO etc, but it might simply be that cpu is too much for the VRM's on that board. The B550 Auros Pro uses a 6phase doubled setup with 50A VRM's
That’s a great point to start an investigation from, thank you very much. Didn’t actually do any PBO setup and I guess it has defaults values, but will check once seller give me my PC back.