Question CPU 90C on idle?

LackuJacku

Prominent
May 26, 2019
I don't know if this is incorrect.
Just installed a new water cooler and the air coming out is cool, but the CPU is reading 90C!
What's going on?

LackuJacku

Prominent
May 26, 2019
Did you remove the plastic cover on the CPU cooler? Switch off your PC immediately and check if the cooler is installed properly and re-apply a grain of rice-sized thermal paste on the CPU, nothing more, nothing less. What are your PC parts?

I am using the corsair 115i pro cooler. It does come with thermal paste, but when I replaced the cooler I didn't remove the thermal paste left from the old cooler. Maybe that could be why?

I am using the corsair 115i pro cooler. It does come with thermal paste, but when I replaced the cooler I didn't remove the thermal paste left from the old cooler. Maybe that could be why?
Yeah, you need to remove the both the older paste and the one that came pre-applied now, because once a cooler is separated from the CPU, all the applied paste must be removed and new one must be applied. Buy a tube of paste if you don't have one, remove the cooler, clean the paste with isopropyl alcohol and then apply new paste, then install the cooler again.

Reactions: DMAN999
May 29, 2019
Hey, If you're using Corsair LINK - Uninstall it immediately, reboot, and install Corsair iCue instead. Corsair LINK is known to report false temp readings, you can also download HW monitor to confirm this. - do not go dismantling your pc for no reason. I had the same issue a week ago. It's the software, not your PC

Once in the iCUE software, go to performance, and set the 2 fans, and pump to Extreme. You may hear the audible sound of every thing spooling up. this is good

Also, with the corsair AIO's you won't see super low temps for a couple days, unless you do a thorough burn in. once mine burned in, I idle at 26C with my Corsair H100i PRO

LackuJacku

Prominent
May 26, 2019
Yeah, you need to remove the both the older paste and the one that came pre-applied now, because once a cooler is separated from the CPU, all the applied paste must be removed and new one must be applied. Buy a tube of paste if you don't have one, remove the cooler, clean the paste with isopropyl alcohol and then apply new paste, then install the cooler again.

Alright so I need thermal paste and alcohol to remove the old paste. Both things I don't have atm.

Will it be dangerous to run the computer without these things applied rn?

LackuJacku

Prominent
May 26, 2019
Hey, If you're using Corsair LINK - Uninstall it immediately, reboot, and install Corsair iCue instead. Corsair LINK is known to report false temp readings, you can also download HW monitor to confirm this. - do not go dismantling your pc for no reason. I had the same issue a week ago. It's the software, not your PC

Once in the iCUE software, go to performance, and set the 2 fans, and pump to Extreme. You may hear the audible sound of every thing spooling up. this is good

I am using Icue

May 29, 2019
Nah, using 2 thermal pastes isn't bad, they just run at diff temps. The best bet, is a paper towel with a little bit of rubbing alchohol on it, and a credit card to scrape it off. Reapply, hook everything back up - and also make sure the pump is correctly seated on top of the CPU - so when screwing the pump back on, Push the pump down into the board with the other hand while tightening.

And - Yeah, never run a PC without a cooler on the CPU, it will fry in about a minute.

Nah, using 2 thermal pastes isn't bad, they just run at diff temps. The best bet, is a paper towel with a little bit of rubbing alchohol on it, and a credit card to scrape it off. Reapply, hook everything back up - and also make sure the pump is correctly seated on top of the CPU - so when screwing the pump back on, Push the pump down into the board with the other hand while tightening.

And - Yeah, never run a PC without a cooler on the CPU, it will fry in about a minute.
It is bad if one of them was already used for some time, older paste is supposed to be removed for a reason. You can run your PC with the cooler installed currently, but 90C on idle really is ridiculous and I wouldn't recommend using it for too long at once, and don't use it at all if possible.

Reactions: DMAN999