Question Cpu Alway Running at hi cpu frequencies?

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
New simple build: Asus H570M-plus, I5-11600k(integrateGraphics), 16G ddr4-3200, WdSSd500G - New bld for Personal/Dev box for Win 11...
Initially loaded up fine, been runnin a couple weeks - And - Now AllWays runnin at HiClock and always in turbo range clock speeds.
Tried a couple little explorations with AISuite3 - and now cant get back to basic Defaults! (no mater what I do which includes mobo Bios ground, bat removal & ground) , Bios F5(default reset) - Big OOPS!
Here's a snip of a SideBySide compare of this bld with a similar bld of my Win10 box ( another simular simple bld (Asus H170M Plus, I5-6600) thats been SolidAsaRock...
New Win11 on Left -older Wiin10 on right.
Note the new bld just WillNot get Outa turbo speed Ranges! Constantly runs in 4.5-4.9g range, while the other runs(like mostother intels) per Cpu Demand!
It started out normal(cpu adjusted per Demad) just fine - Till, i just touched it with AISuite - now WillNot go Back! , (yes have read other threads relating - nothinWorks per this mobo)

ThWinCpuFreq.jpg

Just Stuck in 4.5-4.9g range NoWatter What! Somethin's got the Handle and it wont slow Down
Note: the old sys(right) has that setting CPU VRM Switching Frequency set to Auto - That setting on the new H570M-Plus mobo is just not available ( in either Bios or AiSuire)
And it certainly seems to be stuck ON this new mobo!
Where o Where(and How?) is this turned off /onin the new mobo(H570M-Plus)/CSM?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tried a couple little explorations with AISuite3 - and now cant get back to basic Defaults!
been there, i let it set a software oc on an older PC I had and it took me a while to work out what I had done.

So you reset bios to defaults?
removed AI Suite? as it will over rule bios if you leave it there.
what power scheme in windows? high performance or balanced?

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
"So you reset bios to defaults?
removed AI Suite? as it will over rule bios if you leave it there.
what power scheme in windows? high performance or balanced?
"
Yes to All+More - Reset all PowPlans to default, Then selected/activated Balanced, rebooted(many times, - Just stuck!!!) Plus read lotsa related threads...

On the 3rd day a chasin this, bout time to put in the ole Win11Install usb and start over. this is ToBe a mission crit box, Cant have such stuff...
Would be nice to knowExactly what caused it, and how to reset/recover, but this H570M-Plus is a relatively new released mobo- BuggieBios/AISuite???
There another post that mentioned the the same cpu on a MSI mobo with auto OC software(like AISuite) that did the same thing but no solution...
3Days is too Much!!!, Ultimate solution is Trash It, Reformat, Reinstall All ...(an see if it DoesItAgain!)
By EOD if not fixed it'll prob be the Ultimate soultion...

All went smoothly per install, flashed most bios, instald os/Win11Pro - all good - cpu DID adjust to Damand...
The went south after bout a week...
Except that Intel Management Engine Update - never could get it to take(MEUpdate)... isnt MEUpdate a FirmWare update?
That MEupdate is recommended per ASUS doc for this mobo.
Will check this out b4 Trashin current , Later...
Ideas?

Some popular monitoring software is not that accurate when Intel CPUs are lightly loaded. Some report full speed even when the CPU is not really running at that speed.

If you have the low power C states enabled in the BIOS, it makes very little difference to power consumption whether an Intel CPU runs fast or slow. When it is idle, 99% of the time, idle cores will be sitting in the low power C7 state. In this state, these cores are disconnected from the voltage rail so they are getting 0 voltage and they are disconnected from the internal clock so they are sitting at 0 MHz. Some monitoring software likes to wake up these idle cores to tell you how fast they are running. It is kind of dumb to do that. This just interferes with the low power state that they are in.

Here is a good comparison. A 10 core Intel CPU running at 5000 MHz when idle vs the same CPU running at 800 MHz when idle. The difference in power consumption as measured at the wall with a Kill-a-Watt meter is only 2W.

52W for the fast CPU vs 50W for the slow CPU.

IhCzWUp.png

If power consumption is that important to you then do not waste too much time worrying about CPU speed. It is not that important.

Check to make sure that your low power C states are working correctly. They are far more important than CPU speed. Cores spending 99% of their idle time in the low power C7 state is how any Intel Core i CPU saves power.

ZsCS0Xr.png

Try using a program like ThrottleStop. It is one of the few programs that can accurately track what the CPU multiplier is doing when an Intel CPU is lightly loaded. It will also report if your C states are working correctly, both the core C states and the package C states. Too many monitoring programs are winging it.

Intel CPUs try to run at full speed if there are any tasks to perform. If your CPU is truly stuck at full speed when using the default Windows Balanced power plan then look at the C0% number that ThrottleStop reports. This accurately reports how busy the CPU really is internally. Less than 0.5% when idle is normal. How does your computer compare to the percent of time my computer needs to spend in the C0 active state when it is idle?

BZNWhwZ.png

There is rarely if ever a need to reinstall Windows. If your CPU is reporting high C0% when idle, open the Task Manager and find out what is running in the background on your computer and fix the problem.

Last edited:

Kabobb

Honorable
Dec 3, 2016
Applied the UltimateSolution!(TrashedIt,Reloaded/Reinstall All - Cause TooManyCooksInTheKitchen... (on my 1st Win11 instalExperience)
Win11(or the now the formerWin11Install) really thinks its on a Battery(like a laptop), cause its plugged/commected into a UPS, and AsusAiSuite tries to manage devices(Cpu&Others)...
When ask WhatsThePowerPlan - ??? - Who knows, and I dont think the Box did either... Twas a mess, and I played with everything!
The only thing i really know is it WASN'T runnin Right! Thus the UltimateSolution
So after a Nice selected/clean install there's at least 3 players in the mix, Win11, APC PowerChute, & AISuite.
ThPowOpts0.png

This is PureVanilla OutaDaBov install (MobobiosDefault), AISuite(defaultno tinkerin), Win11 BalPower with NoSleep)...
And all runs well even under load, Cpu Freq goes Up & down just as it should. Well close, the monitor was off this morn after install/setup last nite and box was in sleep(the case LedOnLite was blinkin and the RGBfancolor was off) - but all awakened with mouse moves and kbd use. musta been the AiSuite (maybe, justa WAG(Wild@ssGuess).
AiSuite may have to go. Have Win10 box(I5-6600) that's never see AiSuite(till recently) that's run for 5yrs+ (24,7,365) and still runs both turbo&rest just like it should(OnDemand)
Don't know yet...
But Removing/uninstalling AiSuite, Right now(with it's monitor/sleep profile still active), might be a good test to see if AISuite can leave some persistent conditions remaining in the sys even after it's been uninstalled... Might do that and see if the sys still falls a sleep over nite, tonight.
Later...