CPU and CHASSIS fan speed

Atique Chowdhury

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hi,
I have a question about the fan speed control. I have an i5 4460 with stock cooler. I am currently running it at DC Mode which puts it at a 60% fan speed or 2400 rpm. My chassis #1 which is my rear exhaust fan is also on DC mode and it is running on about 900RPM, again 60%.

This setup keeps my cpu to an average of 30 degree celsius, but is it bad to have it running at this speed? It does have a hum sound and is not completely silent at all.

If I set it to PWM mode; however, the CPU temperature rises to about 38-40celsius and these measurements are all from idle temps or temps with two firefox tabs open (basically idle). Is there any way to solve this without frying my cpu?

Solution
First of all, do not worry about frying your cpu.
It will slow down or shut off to prevent damage.
That point is around 100c.

At idle, I would expect a temperature around 15c. over ambient.

The small fan on the stock cooler does get noisy when it spins up under load.
I would set the cooler to pwm which will increase the rpm only when needed.

If noise is an issue, a simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan will do the job.
First of all, do not worry about frying your cpu.
It will slow down or shut off to prevent damage.
That point is around 100c.

At idle, I would expect a temperature around 15c. over ambient.

The small fan on the stock cooler does get noisy when it spins up under load.
I would set the cooler to pwm which will increase the rpm only when needed.

If noise is an issue, a simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan will do the job.

Solution

Atique Chowdhury

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

so you think 38-40c idle is not bad at all? (PWM temperatures) I am planning to get a hyper 212 evo and 3 more 120mm fans for the extra empty mounts i have but for now I wanted to keep the transistors from being affected by such high temperatures