Question CPU and DRAM indicator lights are on.

cybert2

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
Hello, my pc is on drugs or something. After I turned on the PC, the CPU and DRAM lights show up. I've tried to fix with every possible ways (reseating ram,cpu/ using other slots for ram / clear cmos) What should be the issue? My mobo? It was working yesterday.

Specs:
i3-10105F
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2666 CL16 (will getting replaced soon by Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16)
B560 Pro4
240GB Team VulcanZ ssd
320GB WD Blue 7200RPM
2013 RM850 80+ Gold

IMG20230510111033.jpg

Last edited:

cybert2

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
reset the CMOS/BIOS by jumper

check the CPU socket of the motherboard for bent or discolored pins
only use one RAM in dimm B2
I've done that, reseat, check for bent pins, using every ram slots, and still not booting. I'm suspecting it's the ram fault since the mobo just came back from RMA

What might have changed since all was well?

Why was the mobo sent in for rma?
Why do you suspect the ram if it was the mobo that just returned from rma?

Is your ram a single 8gb stick, or a matched 2 x 4gb kit?
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Is the replacement a 2 stick matched kit?
You want two sticks for best performance.
Mount them in the two slots that your motherboard manual specifies.
My understanding is that the older gen I3-10105F supports a max ram speed of 2666.
The 3600 speed you ordered will install at the lower supported speed.

If your cpu cooler fan is not connected or is not running, the motherboard may think that you do not have a cooler and give you the cpu light.

If your pc was operating well before, there was absolutely no need to remove the chip to check the pins.
Of course, with a mobo replacement you needed to reinsert the cpu.
You may have inadvertently damaged one when reinserting the chip.
It is probably worth while to carefully check the pins again.

cybert2

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
What might have changed since all was well?

Why was the mobo sent in for rma?
Why do you suspect the ram if it was the mobo that just returned from rma?

Is your ram a single 8gb stick, or a matched 2 x 4gb kit?
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Is the replacement a 2 stick matched kit?
You want two sticks for best performance.
Mount them in the two slots that your motherboard manual specifies.
My understanding is that the older gen I3-10105F supports a max ram speed of 2666.
The 3600 speed you ordered will install at the lower supported speed.

If your cpu cooler fan is not connected or is not running, the motherboard may think that you do not have a cooler and give you the cpu light.

If your pc was operating well before, there was absolutely no need to remove the chip to check the pins.
Of course, with a mobo replacement you needed to reinsert the cpu.
You may have inadvertently damaged one when reinserting the chip.
It is probably worth while to carefully check the pins again.
The seller said mobo was sent for RMA because broken ram slot. I'm running on single 8GB stick, planning to change to 2 sticks soon. My PC was doing well until today.

cybert2

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
At least for now I'm suspecting it was either CPU/MOBO/RAM. The RAM is getting replaced soon (tomorrow), if it doesn't fix then I may have to buy new motherboard.. worst scenario is the CPU fault

cybert2

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
If that so, it would be MOBO/RAM then. Hopefully it is just the ram because i dont have enough money to pay for new mobo now... gotta see by tomorrow.

Intel cpu failures are extremely rare, and they are hard to damage.
Rare but not exceedingly so. I have seen on this forums alone at least 4 or 5 cases of faulty CPUs in the last 6 months from intel, and another couple from AMD.

Regardless, the CPU being at fault is a diagnosis of exclusion. If the RAM and Motherboard are replaced and you still have issues and the problem is determined to be either the CPU, Motherboard, or RAM then in all likelihood it has to be the CPU.

you might inspect the memory slot´s pins and eventually the solder joints on the back of the motherboard

try the board outside the case on a non conducting surface (not the card board of the motherboard or similar)

Last edited:

cybert2

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
Hello! So recently I got my PC fixed! it was the LPX's fault, replaced it with Crucial Ballistix RGB Gaming 3600 CL16-18-18-38. I thought I may have to buy new board/RMA the board again. Thank you so much for helping me out guys!
image.png

Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS