[SOLVED] CPU and GPU 50+ degrees idle

IndialienJones

Reputable
May 16, 2016
My CPU temperature is 50 degrees while idle. It jumps up into the 60's while idle. It reaches 80+ degrees while gaming. I've had this computer for 2 months. It's clean as a whistle. What could be causing these high temperatures?

My GPU also idles around 55 degrees and rises above 80 degrees while gaming. Is this normal?

PC specs:
CPU - I9 9900K
GPU - Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
MOBO - ROG HERO XI
RAM - 16GB

Solution
1)So it's this?
1509621742_1368228.jpg

2)Please do, and report back the temperature differences.

3)I can't agree with this 'consensus' because:
-Varying ambient room temps between users, as well as the PC build, affect gpu temps.
-The default thermal throttle temp for the 2080Ti is 84C. While you can raise this a little(88C), over 85C isn't good for the gpu anyways.
-Relative to the 2nd point, Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus are temperature sensitive. The cooler they run, the higher they boost - to an extent, of course. It's not infinity. Overclocks do not help either, when you're already at the border of throttle temp.
-My 1080Ti's power draw rivals that of some...

Jorma04

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
My CPU temperature is 50 degrees while idle. It jumps up into the 60's while idle. It reaches 80+ degrees while gaming. I've had this computer for 2 months. It's clean as a whistle. What could be causing these high temperatures?

My GPU also idles around 55 degrees and rises above 80 degrees while gaming. Is this normal?

PC specs:
CPU - I9 9900K
GPU - Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
MOBO - ROG HERO XI
RAM - 16GB
What is your case and fan setup? Cpu cooler? Gpu model?

Jorma04

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Case is X-Saber 620 with 3 Enermax rgb case fans in front, 2 in back.

Enermax ETS-T50A cpu fan

GPU is an Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
Try playing games without the case side panel and remove any overclock. also check your case and cpu fan speeds in bios. What is your gpu model is it something like Gigabyte,Msi or Asus or is it reference?

Last edited:

IndialienJones

Reputable
May 16, 2016
Try playing games without the case side panel and remove any overclock. also check your case and cpu fan speeds in bios. What is your gpu model is it something like Gigabyte,Msi or Asus or is it reference?
The case actually has decent air flow. I assume these temperatues have been the same since getting the computer, but I've just now looked into it with HWMonitor. Nothing has changed and it's very clean, so there's really no reason this would have just started suddenly. I don't have any OC applied.

I've read in multiple places that removing the side panel is a terrible idea. The case needs proper air flow and pressure, and removing the side panel is not the way to acheive that. I could try bumping up the fan speed in the BIOS I suppose. The GPU model is EVGA. I'm not so much concerned about the GPU, it's the CPU that I'm most concerned about.

I called the retailer I purchased the PC from and was told that idling at 50 degrees is normal for an i9 9900k because they tend to run a bit hot. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Can you post pics of the case? I can't find specific images of the X-Saber 620 case.

2)Test with the side AND front panel off.
The reason to do this is to rule out poor case airflow. If the case is good, then there shouldn't be a large difference in cpu and gpu temps.

3)You should be concerned about the gpu temps as well as the cpu. The 2080Ti thermal throttles around 84C.

4)"Idling at 50C is normal for a 9900K" is BS. "80+ in games is normal" is also BS. That's normal when there is a cooling issue.
Since it looks like you're using a prebuilt, the odds that they paired an insufficient cooler with the 9900K is high... What is the cooler?

IndialienJones

Reputable
May 16, 2016
1)Can you post pics of the case? I can't find specific images of the X-Saber 620 case.

2)Test with the side AND front panel off.
The reason to do this is to rule out poor case airflow. If the case is good, then there shouldn't be a large difference in cpu and gpu temps.

3)You should be concerned about the gpu temps as well as the cpu. The 2080Ti thermal throttles around 84C.

4)"Idling at 50C is normal for a 9900K" is BS. "80+ in games is normal" is also BS. That's normal when there is a cooling issue.
Since it looks like you're using a prebuilt, the odds that they paired an insufficient cooler with the 9900K is high... What is the cooler?

1. I googled x saber 620 and images of the case show up
  2. Sure, I could try that. It's worth a shot.
  3. I'm not concerned about the GPU because the temperature isn't too high. I've researched it and the consesus is that it's a normal temperature for the card I have.
  4. I called 3 pc repair shops and they all said the same thing about the 9900K. Doesn't seem like BS to me. These people see computers come into their shop daily for years. I'm sure if they wanted my money, they would be echoing the same sentiment that anything over 30 is "too hot!" and be urging me to bring into the shop so they could take a look. The cooler is an Enermax ETS T50A.
I did some more searching and it's fairly common for the i9 to run hotter than other cpus. Intel, in general, runs hotter apparently. As i sit here typing this, my cpu is at 33 degrees. I think it'll be fine.

I appreciate the responses.

Last edited:
Yes, the 9900k run hot, but it clocks way down at idle or during light loads.
50’c idle, even on air, is not normal at all. It can get hot under heavy load, but the temps you are reporting are too high - both idle and “full” (gaming) load - and it indicates an inadequate cooling solution in my opinion. I can’t even imagine what the max temp when running stress tests would be like.

Although it can’t be directly compared, since i use an AiO CPU cooler, my 9900k idles at 29 - 30’c
Even on air, your CPU shouldn’t be idling at 20’c, even spiking to 30’c, more than mine, that is just way too much, no matter what they are trying to tell you at the store you bought it from.

Last edited:
As far as number 4, it is absolutely bs. While yes the 9900k is a hot cpu, when at idle, with no oc applied it should not be idling at 50+. And with a cooler that states 250+tdp capable, 80+ while gaming is also not quite right. It really does sound like an airflow issue or a poorly mounted cooler.

I dont know where you're searching, but nowhere I find says 80+ on the gpu is normal or ok. Like said these 20 series cards throttle at that temperature. So not being worried about a 1000+ dollar gpu? I'd use msi afterburner or evga precision x1 and make a nice fan curve for the gpu. It should not be nearly that warm.

Is this your case? https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/VR-Ready-Deal-RTX-2060-Super

If so, that looks like it has absolutely terrible airflow. Appears to be solid front panel with very little opening. And could very well be the source of your issue.

But hey, that one pc store you called said it was ok, right. They've never been known to steer anyone wrong before, or be misinformed on tech.

You were obviously concerned enough to make a post about it. So I'd only think it's in your best interest to hear those offering advice out. Lot of knowledgeable folks on here, some with more knowledge than any pc store. Certainly more knowledge as a collective group.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)So it's this?
1509621742_1368228.jpg

2)Please do, and report back the temperature differences.

3)I can't agree with this 'consensus' because:
-Varying ambient room temps between users, as well as the PC build, affect gpu temps.
-The default thermal throttle temp for the 2080Ti is 84C. While you can raise this a little(88C), over 85C isn't good for the gpu anyways.
-Relative to the 2nd point, Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus are temperature sensitive. The cooler they run, the higher they boost - to an extent, of course. It's not infinity. Overclocks do not help either, when you're already at the border of throttle temp.
-My 1080Ti's power draw rivals that of some 2080Tis - only a 20w difference in the max power limit between it and a Founder's Edition 2080Ti. Do you agree with the consensus that 20w is the reason your card sees over 80C in normal use and mine has never seen over 62C?
That's with a room ambient of 24C.

4)Some associates in PC repair shops don't really know what the hell they're talking about.
50C on a non-overclocked 9900K isn't normal. My overclocked 7820X, which rivals a 9900K in power draw, is idling below 40C right now in a 24C room - and that's with an NH-D15S on top of it, which is barely adequate for it, by the way.
I'm not familiar with that cooler. It claims to be able to handle 230-250w of heat... either way, that case of yours is a hot box.

Last edited:
Solution

IndialienJones

Reputable
May 16, 2016
I haven't had access to the pc I made this post on for nearly all last year. I hooked it up again, and the same problem persists. Do you all have any recommendations about cases that provide adequate airflow? I'm afraid to even have the pc turned on because it's idling at such high temps.

I removed the side panel of the computer to see if it affected the temps. The CPU temperature went down to 35C while idling, but still fluctuates constantly, jumping up to as high as 44C. The GPU temp remains the same, idling at 55C. I'm concerned it isn't a case airflow issue at this point..

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@IndialienJones
iu

1)Just for the time being, IGNORE IDLE THERMALS, focus on load only. 50C idle isn't any more dangerous to a cpu than 80C is - in other words, not at all. It is still within the manufacturer's specifications.

2)85C and lower is considered safe for everyday use for both cpu and gpu. If you are seeing that, then good. If not, continue on, or continue on regardless.

3)You can do the following to aid with lowering thermals.
A)Cpu: Windows Search > Edit power plan > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.
Set it to 98-95%, click Apply, and exit.

B)Gpu: Msi Afterburner. Simply take the Power Limit slider, lower it 5-10%, and click Apply.

4)A good airflow chassis isn't hard to find/figure out at all. Their layouts all have something in common; take note of the top and front panels in the following examples:
-Fractal Design Meshify series
-Cooler Master H500, H500P Mesh, H500M
-Phanteks P400A, P500A
-Lian Li Lancool 215, Lancool 2 Mesh

IndialienJones

Reputable
May 16, 2016
@IndialienJones
iu

1)Just for the time being, IGNORE IDLE THERMALS, focus on load only. 50C idle isn't any more dangerous to a cpu than 80C is - in other words, not at all. It is still within the manufacturer's specifications.

2)85C and lower is considered safe for everyday use for both cpu and gpu. If you are seeing that, then good. If not, continue on, or continue on regardless.

3)You can do the following to aid with lowering thermals.
A)Cpu: Windows Search > Edit power plan > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.
Set it to 98-95%, click Apply, and exit.

B)Gpu: Msi Afterburner. Simply take the Power Limit slider, lower it 5-10%, and click Apply.

4)A good airflow chassis isn't hard to find/figure out at all. Their layouts all have something in common; take note of the top and front panels in the following examples:
-Fractal Design Meshify series
-Cooler Master H500, H500P Mesh, H500M
-Phanteks P400A, P500A
-Lian Li Lancool 215, Lancool 2 Mesh

In one of your past posts on this topic, you mentioned, "50C on a non-overclocked 9900K isn't normal ". So, should I take your current advice and disregard what you said prior? I'm just a bit confused because the issue before was I was saying the conclusion I'd come to is that the temps are a bit high but aren't anything to really worry about. Everyone who replied said "that's all BS" and made it out to be a pretty big deal, something I should be concerned about. But now, you're basically agreeing with what I said originally and seem to be implying, or stating outright, that the idle temps and temps under load that I reported are in fact nothing to worry about. Am I correct?

IndialienJones

Reputable
May 16, 2016
50C in a well ventilated chassis isn't normal, but you don't have a well ventilated one.
Gotcha. So, if I continue using this case, will it lead to damage of the hardware? Is it imperative that I switch to a more ventilated one?

I have a separate issue that started when I set up the pc again just recently. The speakers hiss and whine. When a game is running, the speakers swell into a buzzing/humming sound. When I plugged in my headphones to the jack on the front of the computer, the entire computer turned off. Do you have any idea what would cause that? I had an electrician check the outlets and everything is normal according to them. Mobo issue maybe?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gotcha. So, if I continue using this case, will it lead to damage of the hardware? Is it imperative that I switch to a more ventilated one?
1)No.
2)Only for your peace of mind.

I have a separate issue that started when I set up the pc again just recently. The speakers hiss and whine. When a game is running, the speakers swell into a buzzing/humming sound. When I plugged in my headphones to the jack on the front of the computer, the entire computer turned off. Do you have any idea what would cause that? I had an electrician check the outlets and everything is normal according to them. Mobo issue maybe?
Sorry, doesn't ring any bells.