Question CPU and GPU flashing red. May POST, but afraid to turn it on again. PSU issue?

Aug 20, 2021
Hello,

I'm having issues with my relatively new gaming computer which I built a few months ago, parts link below. My new computer worked perfectly through many hours of gaming, without issue, until about an hour ago. While I was playing a game (Guild Wars 2), my computer began stuttering severely; I couldn't open task manager and it wouldn't respond to me pressing the power button in front. So, I turned off the PSU switch on the back, waited a few minutes, and flipped it back on. When I powered it on, several things happened.

1. The radiator on my CPU was pulsing red and the machine powered off before it could post. No bios.
  2. After clearing CMOS via the button on the rear IO, a message appeared in the bios saying "CPU Over Temperature Error!" "CPU Fan speed error detected."
  3. With the computer off and the PSU turned on, my GPU can be see pulsing 3 red lights. This happened without me attempting to boot the machine.

At this time, the machine is turned off and unplugged. I haven't opened it up and won't until tomorrow as it's late.

A quick Google search told me that flashing lights on the GPU indicate a voltage drop. This, combined with the CPU pulsing red, makes me wonder - could it be a bad power supply?

I may pick up a multi-meter this weekend to test it according to the sticky thread in this section. However, having been electrocuted by an exposed electrical wire as a kid, I do have an irrational fear of electricity, and the thought of sticking probes into a power supply does trigger my anxiety.

Any input would be great. I can provide more information, pictures, video and so on, as requested.

My PC build with all current components: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zktfH2

Thanks

May 27, 2022
It's gonna take more troubleshooting than that but I'd start with the AIO CPU cooler. If the pump died that could be throwing the temp/fan speed error.

The GPU lights typically indicate not enough power at startup. If the PCI-E cables weren't plugged in at all, some systems will boot into a "Please plug in the PCI-E power cables" message, others won't boot at all. If your system thinks that those aren't plugged in then I'd say that points to a faulty power supply.

I would try removing anything non essential (GPU, maybe any extra ram other than one stick) and see if you can get it to post without CPU issues. Pick up another PSU for testing purposes, can always return it. Just trying a different PSU is an easier and safer way of verifying than trying to test the one you have, especially if electricity scares you.

Aug 20, 2021
Hi again,

I wanted to follow up. I have the day off and opened up the case. I took out the PSU and heard a rattling noise. A small piece of metal fell out, as shown in the picture below. I looked inside the unit, without opening it up, and noticed what I think is damage.

qfWPILhEx7QTRuiq_jiZ_pOy8D9xlrHr5D4L-IEvbYpa4B8RawCpMA9HulD_V3Ex1fz2I3TEhIIQ5vYjeIfsWAzcmY0azwMgo4exfqVDZivg-wBI4sMmTdRLPJCNz7Xq0TiLVFplFb-oAVm7MMsaWLWGz1CLEbrE1ISi7KvpC4Wie3c8KQg5lngSifrP1iyuXSGH_XDRZcTNfVElZ00MMn7weYP194EHI7OuMVuwJ9ZDJtK7ZAwW7vsTfDEJSD10iHskDNm4FcQWui3B9oG5MZH2cC8bMgSEwipCFEMteCEPZlsdYkBG0TiKtlYyuUKrES4jVAZV0ZjjWUknzN_SsuBxHv3Eq7orUjL208oCWUo0NSXRA0ufeN7gUbx1BN3FqCnIdFTrWtqxsgpO-deqIhHht4Ti1AZ5fqaxi5i06NfXzs4tIqPE2_QRZ2m-gqbAyk7IsrqiDl8zZbHHYDeiIaKHtr0HyVTag67lYKpzS83yhisQw353hw_gtu8LSdPgd2c42_6On76JNBrbB-NGs_aN8JIwYzXKpuBhlKMMnq0sMtZLI9CLRjN3hCyy-I_ynb0VvZQJRHI0TH3dpA7dXRbmQuMK_HCLIdnhZmRBGsOMuvqcebbjoHMLxPcuD00-5tKjxQYRpykKDEfBRm0WOPqCyAqYssZUrW3WwZ6mErCwWhN_rJ3YUjtMSWOxakkcYGXlbCFtMPfWldq3F1ky-bNDw9vISvu69YJ2iKkO73v2yQ4coLtTL5EGcgc=w1363-h767-no

TXwOHCpsAjrK5rP7prG9Z7TF6VZcuErIV40ZO8ZYjE6xreEDkbz3ARV3zpKe2wI9HW8TnjX-rTC1159T2DMPl2EnXdESbcwYzHDibZIbs6rBgq_cQrLR5uCv7PuQGgZagDmCtxXL4edXuq97Zc-mAdaHea96EdttzLscsQV5crLYTlV-GNpy25UxIcVX6BTN-m_fjBU_ZfAVEFkRXMz-fyJYmhRrnwsLqJoYs44DJckDCR-CUVxh7zQ0187SZvN7Ru9S_nUVs0q0aif4vUTVLswghqysVn-qPxWP0yyIelQOkddDLj-e58Q48hzHXtURpMhPwpERcqTlUsL4iR0ByWsj9NhUvQk3fQGeyYIq3_YTFh3at2iynqOZZzJKJ7m1yN0jqHwRsd4lsHncC4RPolTyKFrqL9Zn0hivH5a9Gb9psWy-DJh8JnCg9yNVoN0IETkwmr0zC3yoHMqQFOo0ZNMAgsyQlJS1LsnCumHlzQ4Ycrt9_aRspyCxP_u_ckBrc5ludl3ROMv1F5T1AwGpRh0J5d2EX-4eLW9pEZYH3stvNqwZ2_xWN7by0Xt0iq--naXtP7kYMb9hHg7Q6pay9eTi8Eg66CJ69SbLTN3kH1EeLzZv9_6skw8w-P5fEZm5orGRW_p-kM4AYRsSIadcJtsHmmHZp9BMo0zKn4d9wq785ctYRRo6qiwR6C9uCd0YeABXAy7MNSyfJOGbVT8ghJjJpmpIPdwxj8r-AZjOW5HI8xyfD7fiTxSx9ZY=w1363-h767-no

I don't think this was my doing. The PC was never dropped, nor was the PSU after it was in my possession. I didn't hear a rattling noise when I initially installed it, several months ago. It looks like a piece of solder fell out, as shown in the pictures. I'll have to ask Corsair for a replacement unit.

I did order a replacement the other day, which just arrived. It's unopened and I think I should just return it, as I'm sure Corsair will replace it free of charge - unless they would refund or reimburse my Amazon order for the replacement? I don't know. I just hope the rest of my components are fine, I'll have to wait until I can contact Corsair I guess.