CPU and GPU ideal temps

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I have google searched this and I have gotten many different answers. Could you please tell me what the ideal/average/max temperature while gaming. My CPU (intel i5 6600k) was around 45C and my GPU (GTX 980ti) was around 81-82C. What do you think. BTW I use HW monitor is that good?

Solution

(Supposing you've recorded that in-game) :
Your GPU is running a little bit hot, but that's perfectly normal for a high-end Maxwell GPU.
Your CPU is running very cool, normally it's around at LEAST 60°C. That is not a problem, that is very nice, that means your cooling system is good enough to support some overclocking.

If these are the temps at idle, then your GPU has a serious problem.

antoine21839

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017

(Supposing you've recorded that in-game) :
Your GPU is running a little bit hot, but that's perfectly normal for a high-end Maxwell GPU.
Your CPU is running very cool, normally it's around at LEAST 60°C. That is not a problem, that is very nice, that means your cooling system is good enough to support some overclocking.

If these are the temps at idle, then your GPU has a serious problem.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
ideal/average/max

CPU: 50-60C/70C/95C
GPU: 50-60C/70C/95C

GPUs do tend to be a bit hotter though in general but silicon is silicon. Anything over 99C is very bad to be safe I put you 4C less then that in max temps.

If your temps are idle your GPU is to high...if under full load it is another story.

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for all your replies guys, don't worry I recorded these temperatures while I was playing Witcher 3 for about 2/3 hours. I think I might need to do a bit of a dusting of my PC cos its been a around 3 months and my PC is kept in my bedroom where I have a carpet and clothes and obviously my bed so it can get quite dusty.