Question CPU and GPU pairing

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
I'm looking at buying a second hand gtx 1070, what cpu should I pair it with? (i will be mainly playing games)
There is a lot of CPU's from almost every generation of Intel i3/i5/i7 or AMD Ryzen, that You could use with GTX 1070....
The question is, if You already have some PC and You want to check for some upgrades or do You intend to buy a new/used pc as well....

Also it's important on what resolution and framerates You want to play.

Need more info.

Apr 9, 2019
There is a lot of CPU's from almost every generation of Intel i3/i5/i7 or AMD Ryzen, that You could use with GTX 1070....
The question is, if You already have some PC and You want to check for some upgrades or do You intend to buy a new/used pc as well....

Also it's important on what resolution and framerates You want to play.

Need more info.
I have a pc, but it currently has an i7 2700k, it is quite old. I mainly plan to play 1080p, and on some esports games hit at least or over 144 fps (i have a 144hz monitor) I was thinking on buying the 9600k though. Thoughts?

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
2700K (if You overclock it a bit, like 4.6-5ghz), is perfectly fine for GTX 1070.
Of course, there are faster CPU's which will give You better framerates with this card, but this one is good enough for comfort gameplay in 80+ fps in almost any game.
So, if the CPU is not overclocked yet, check if You have sufficient cooling and do it. You'll be good, no need to change to anything new yet.

However, if You really WANT TO change CPU/motherboard/ram etc., then i suggest to wait few months and check the performance of new Ryzens that will come out. It could be much better option than 9600K, and probably cheaper/same price.

9600K is a very good choice for gaming now, but it has only 6 cores / 6 threads, so sooner or later You will have the same problem as users of older i5's with 4c/4t - insufficient cores count for modern games.

Apr 9, 2019
2700K (if You overclock it a bit, like 4.6-5ghz), is perfectly fine for GTX 1070.
Of course, there are faster CPU's which will give You better framerates with this card, but this one is good enough for comfort gameplay in 80+ fps in almost any game.
So, if the CPU is not overclocked yet, check if You have sufficient cooling and do it. You'll be good, no need to change to anything new yet.

However, if You really WANT TO change CPU/motherboard/ram etc., then i suggest to wait few months and check the performance of new Ryzens that will come out. It could be much better option than 9600K, and probably cheaper/same price.

9600K is a very good choice for gaming now, but it has only 6 cores / 6 threads, so sooner or later You will have the same problem as users of older i5's with 4c/4t - insufficient cores count for modern games.
I see, I might just hold on to my 2700k and wait for 3rd gen ryzen, thanks for all the help.