CPU and GPU temps Question

Jul 21, 2018
Hello

I just build my pc yesterday , i never had build an pc before.

My specs.
CPU: ryzen 5 2600x
GPU MSI 1080 Armor oc
Motherboard: msi B450 carbon gaming ac

My question is i monitored the temps of the gpu and cpu

under 98 % load (when playing witcher 3 at ultra settings) the GPU is 80c-83c
my cpu (overclocked from 3.6 ghz to 4.0 ghz)temps are 60c-70c

when idle the temps are

GPU: 50c-55c
CPU: 45c-52c

Do i need to worry about the temps or is it fine
I didnt find an clear answer online

I look forward to ur answers

Solution

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
Lower temperatures are always better.

Most people will tell you they are fine.
Idle temperatures are a bit high in my opinion.
Does your case have any fans installed?
My GPU and CPU idle around the 30-35C mark.

Jul 21, 2018

yes i have two fans in the front of the case
and one in the back . the problem might be that i have an clothing dryer in the same room . it was on when i was recording the temp that might be problem.

agree with rhoban.

range should be

CPU - Idle 30-35, Gaming 45-65, Full load stressing 65-80. Ideally you never want max temps to go above 80c. These temps are of course dependant on coolers used, ambient temps and case airflow.

GPU - Idle 30-35, Gaming max would be about 65c (game dependant it can go higher) and max stressing 70-80c. GPU's can typically go slightly higher on temps and will function fine in short bursts up to 90c.

Yes, the clothes dryer will heat up the room a degree or two, specially if it vents into the room.

Jul 21, 2018

I thought about an other thing that might be causing the warmth
When i was putting down the cooler on the CPU i had an hard time i took it off 2 times from the cpu should i have repaste the cooling paste or doesnt it matter because the cpu never had gone on.

Yes, that could cause high temps too. If when you seated the coololer the first time, and pulled it away it may have been that the paste didn't spread out as it should and set with the optimal contact.

I'd suggest doing it again. Scrape of the paste, you can use rubbing alcohol, and then re-apply a 'pea sized' blob in the centre of the CPU. Then reseat cooler carefully and make sure it clicks into place on all four points.

Give it a day or two for the paste to take hold and set. Then begin measuring temps again. It will take one or two days of switching it on and of again (normal usage) for the paste to set fully.

Using a good paste like Thermal Grizzly or MX5 can reduce temps by a further 5c over some generic stock paste.

Solution